• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No will

My husband had finance on a static caravan in his name only, and unfortunately he has passed away, he didn’t leave a will and has no assets to sell, I can’t afford to continue paying for the static, can you please help.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about your husband.

If you aren't a joint owner of the caravan and you aren't a party to the finance agreement and aren't a financial guarantor then you have no legal obligation to pay the finance company and the caravan isn't your responsibility. Being Next of Kin does not make you liable for your late husband's debts. I am assuming that you don't want the caravan and aren't interested in taking it over to use yourself.

First of all go to the caravan and remove all personal property that you wish to keep. Then send the finance company a copy of your husband's death certificate, tell them he died without leaving a Will so there are no Executors, and that you are in possession of the keys if they wish to collect them from you and repossess the caravan.

But presumably the caravan is on a site where there is also site rental agreement and your late husband was paying site fees and other charges? So you need to say the same to the site owners.

If either the finance company or the site owners try and pressure you into taking responsibility or claim (wrongly) that you are somehow legally responsible for your late husband's payments come back here for more advice.
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 7th September 2024, 17:56:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi
      Welcome to LB
      I am very sorry to read about the sad loss of your husband and the worry you have about the finance loan on the caravan
      You should telephone the finance company asap and let them know what has happened and explain your financial predicament. They will probably ask for a copy of the death certificate which you should send.
      There is probably a clause in the finance agreement stating what happens in the event of the death of the borrower. Have you found a copy of the agreement? If not you should ask the company to send a copy.
      Once you have a copy to hand you could speak to CAB to make sure that what you have been told by the finance company is legally correct.
      You should also contact the caravan park owner or manager to let them know

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X