• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unhappy beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy beneficiaries

Can a beneficiary use the money they have inherited to challenge the same Will the money came from? There is the clause to say if they challenge they will forfeit their share but is that only if they lose?
    Tags: None

Please give us the exact wording of the clause (but omit the name of any beneficiaries).
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I cannot see how, if a challenge to a will succeeds, such a clause can survive.

What grounds of challenge have been intimated, if any?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

They haven’t said they are going to challenge they are just really unhappy with the amounts they are getting. They keep asking when they are going to get their money so I’m worried they are going to use the money they have to challenge the Will and try to get more, if that makes sense?

Comment

1. I declare that any person who would otherwise benefit under my Will but who
            (a)
            institutes any proceedings to set aside or contest the validity of my Will or any provision of it; or
            (b)
            lodges any formal objection to the probate of my Will; or brings any claim under the Inheritance Act 1975 or any further version thereof in respect of my Estate
            shall forthwith be excluded from receiving any benefit under my Will and my Will shall take effect as if no provision had been made to that person

Comment

1. If the will is declared invalid, that declaration will clearly extend to this clause.

2. If under the Inheritance Act a court finds that inadequate provision has been made for a person for whom such provision should have been made, this clause will only reinforce such a finding.

The clause is a waste of space in respect of a successful challenge. It may deter a potential claimant from bringing a claim.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thankyou for your response. So they could in theory get their inheritance and still challenge the Will to try and get more of an equal share? They were not financially dependant on my Dad so they haven’t got a claim under inheritance act

Comment

In theory, yes.

Do you know why your father did not make equal provision in his will for you and your siblings? Is it primogeniture? Did they win the lottery?

Comment

After the death of my mum 15 years ago, they didn’t really support my Dad as much as I did. I moved in to look after my dad when he became bedbound. My sister only lives down the round but never visited and very very rarely rang to check in on him. Similar story with my brother. I have always been the one to look after dad and had legal power of attorney. Dad wanted to reflect that in the Will. There had also been an unresolved disagreement with my dad and sister

Comment

The executor or administrator should aim to complete the administration within one year after the date of death
                    Claims under the Inheritance Act should be started within 6 months of the date of Probate
                    So if probate is granted within 6 months of death (say 5 months), the executor can potentially thwart a beneficiary using their inheritance to fund the claim by delaying payments to beneficiaries

Comment

Thank you for your response. I’m the executor as well. I thought the 6 months was for people not named as a beneficiary in the will? They weren’t financially dependant on my Dad and are adults so they wouldn’t be able to claim under inheritance act would they? Sorry just so confused, we’ve got a 7 month old and I’m worried we may lose our home if they try to challenge

Comment

You thought right. See my answer in your other thread.

Comment

Your siblings were not financially dependent on your father. Your father did not forget them, he considered their entitlement and made an allowance
                          They would be taking a big financial risk starting a claim and hopefully they will receive the correct legal advice should they consult a lawyer
                          Claimants have an additional 4 months, making a total of 10 months after the date of probate to start a claim. This period may be extended if the claimant was unaware that the testator had died
                          Last edited by Pezza54; 18th April 2024, 10:30:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X