• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fathers will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fathers will

My father passed away leaving a will saying the house to be left to me and my brother, we are to use a solicitor to deal with his estate. My brother is by passing the solicitor and arranging the capital gains amount and will then pass it on to the probate.

Can my brother whom has access to my fathers bank accounts because it was he who stayed at the house to look after him, can he in any shape or form plunder the estate in anyway and if so will the probate beable to pick up on any activities that have occurred.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Have you got a copy of the will? Who is named executor?

Comment

Probate do not investigate how the Estate is being or has been managed so the Probate process will not "pick up on any activities that have occurred." Their sole task is confirm that the Will has been correctly written from a procedural point of view and confirm who is legally authorised to administer the Estate, ie one or more of the Executors.

It sounds like "we are to use a solicitor to deal with his estate" is an expression of wishes rather than a binding instruction. Generally speaking Executors do not have to follow expressions of wishes. There is no legal requirement to use a solicitor (unless the solicitor is a named Executor), it's at the discretion of the Executors. And you don't need to use a solicitor to deal with the whole Estate. You can use one for specific purposes only if you want to.
      Last edited by PallasAthena; 3rd March 2024, 11:44:AM.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X