• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Seeking Advice on Witnessing a Will Under Challenging Circumstances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice on Witnessing a Will Under Challenging Circumstances

Hello, Legal Beagles Community,

I find myself in a situation that has left me with several questions and concerns regarding the witnessing of a will, and I'm hoping to gain some insights or advice from this knowledgeable community.

Recently, I was asked to witness the signing of a will of a person who was in the hospital and in the final stages of cancer. Due to her condition, she was unable to sign the document in the traditional manner and instead used her thumbprint as her signature. I observed that she struggled significantly with this process, to the extent that at one moment, I instinctively tried to assist her by guiding her inked thumb to the page. This was met with swift intervention

Given her condition, it's my concern that she may not have fully understood the contents of the will or been in a proper state to make such decisions. Moreover, since she couldn't sign the document herself and required assistance just to leave a thumbprint, I'm worried about the legal implications of my role as a witness and the overall validity of the will.

I'm seeking advice on the following points:
    1. Given the circumstances, is there a potential that the will could be contested based on the testator's capacity or the manner in which the will was executed?
    2. As a witness, what are my responsibilities and potential liabilities, if any, especially considering my attempt to assist with the thumbprint?
    3. Are there any steps I should now take to document this situation or protect myself legally?
    4. Can anyone recommend resources or services where I might obtain free legal advice to further discuss these concerns in detail?

I appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide. It's a situation I've never encountered before, and I want to ensure I approach it with the appropriate sensitivity and due diligence.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
    Tags: None

My advice would be to try to find out the identity of the lady's solicitor and to write to that solicitor with your concerns.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I have no idea whatsoever who her solicitor was at the time and have no way of finding out. What other course of action can be pursued?

Comment

A testator can "sign" a will with a thumbprint provided their intention was clear and they were aware of the contents of their will.
        This was decided in a court case in October last year.
        A witness has no further legal responsibility after signing the will. If the validity of a will is challenged the witness must be prepared to become involved

Comment

I can think of numerous ways the OP might ask the son.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OP did say they were asked to witness the signing of the will by their colleague's mother who was in hospital at the time.
            OP must have been visiting or received a phone call from the mother and should have been able to check her intentions and assess whether she had the mental capacity to understand what she was going to sign

Comment

Actually, the mother was never in a position to call anyone when she was in hospital and the will was drawn up literally a few days before she passed on. I never spoke or met the mother prior to going in to hospital to witness the will. I am no longer in touch with any of the family members.

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood the 1st sentence of the 3rd para in your thread.

So your colleague asked you to witness the will on behalf of his or her mother

Who was the second witness? Have you spoken to them?

You should wait to see if the will is challenged. It might never happen
                Last edited by Pezza54; 29th February 2024, 13:37:PM.

Comment

Last edited by D321; 29th February 2024, 15:34:PM.

Comment

But you may have stopped her worrying about the her will in her last few days. Look at it that way

Comment

Comment

If you signed the will as a witness at the time it is a bit late to do anything now. If the beneficiaries are all happy with their inheritance how do you think they are going to respond if you challenge the validity of the will

Comment

Comment

The possibilities are endless

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X