• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Trustees trying to extort me and run up bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trustees trying to extort me and run up bills

In summary, my late grandmother passed away in 2007, leaving a trust for her partner to reside in until his departure. He signed off and vacated the property. The sole beneficiary, my late mother, who passed away in 2020, was intended to inherit the house from the trust. However, as she lost the last will she made 20 years ago, I have submitted for probate and await the grant from the courts soon.

Now, the trustees are asserting that I am responsible for all costs incurred since my late grandmother's passing. However, the will/trust document clearly stipulates that my late grandmother's partner was liable for all costs, not the trustees. Therefore, I am perplexed as to why their solicitor insists that I cover these expenses.

Additionally, I have been informed that I must pay for their legal bills in full upon collecting the keys once the property is transferred to my name. When I inquired about who is overseeing the property until I gain access, the solicitor ignored my question.

Subsequently, I received a phone call from my great aunt reporting an unrecognized individual on the property. Concerned, I rushed to the property fearing theft, only to find no one present. However, I noticed a tap running at full capacity, posing potential hazards. I promptly contacted the water board to turn off the stop plug and informed the trustees' solicitor of the incident.

From my perspective, it seems the trustees are attempting to extort me. Despite my refusal to comply, they persist in their efforts to jeopardize the property. I am apprehensive that without swift intervention, the property may suffer irreparable damage or bankruptcy.

The solicitor representing the trustees has ignored my inquiries, but I possess video evidence documenting their misconduct and correspondence contradicting their claims of entitlement to compensation for overseeing the property.

Given these circumstances, I seek guidance on how to proceed. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. This matter is situated in Wales, UK.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by smith101 View Post
    Now, the trustees are asserting that I am responsible for all costs incurred since my late grandmother's passing. However, the will/trust document clearly stipulates that my late grandmother's partner was liable for all costs, not the trustees. Therefore, I am perplexed as to why their solicitor insists that I cover these expenses..
    Can you post here (redacted of any personal data) the relevant clause from the Will/Trust. It would be usual for your late grandmother's partner to be responsible for all costs and maintenance while he was actually living there but not after he had "signed off and vacated the property".

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Do you have any siblings?
      You stated your mother lost her last will. How do you know this and what search have you carried out?
      Please read the article at www.nelsonslaw.co.uk/lost-will-intestacy
      Do you know who the witnesses were and tried to contact to them? It would help if you can speak to them and they can confirm you were the sole beneficiary in your mother's will.
      When your grandmother passed away, her executor was responsible for setting up a trust with trustees appointed in accordance with the will. If you are right about the terms of the trust, the trust ended and the property passed to your late mother's estate when her partner vacated the property and handed the keys to the trustees.
      Hopefully you will be appointed administrator soon and take full possession of the house. You are right to keep an eye on it. A tap left running though is an easy mistake and shouldn't flood the house, just add to the water bill
      In my opinion, when the property passed to your mother's estate, her estate managed by the executor or administrator, became liable to pay house bills from that point in time (when the trust ended).

Comment

thank you all i've received a email from the trustees solicitor saying i must pay her legal bills and transfer the property to my name but the grant hasn't come back from the court yet, any idea if this is true?

Comment

You shouldn't just "pay her legal bills" You need to ask her for a breakdowns to see what work is included and whether the price is reasonable.
          There is no rush to put your name on the deeds, wait for probate

Comment

Hello, I received an email recently highlighting some key points. They assert that any damage incurred is my responsibility, despite the fact that the grant hasn't been approved yet. How can I be held accountable when the grant hasn't been finalised? Additionally, I'm considering changing the lock to maintain the property temporarily until the grant is secured, as it requires someone to oversee it. Lastly, I'm curious about your perspective on the trustee hiring a solicitor to correspond with my solicitor via emails/letters. Are they entitled to charge me for these communications?
            Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X