• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wording of Will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wording of Will

Hello,

My father recently passed and left his estate to me and my brother. He appointed a firm of solicitors as his executors.

As the 2 beneficiaries my brother and I agreed to have the house transferred to us as joint owners. It is our childhood home and we are undecided as to what we would like to do with it at the moment.The solicitors originally agreed to this but have now stated that this cannot be done and are insisting it is sold.

I think the relevant bit of the will is this:

i give all my real and personal estate not effectually disposed of by this my will or any other codicil here to my trustees to stand possession thereof upon trust to sell the same or any part thereof which may not.consist of any money or to retain the same or any part thereof in the same condition or state of investment as it was at the time of my death so long as my trustees shall in their absolute discretion decide without being liable for loss

What does this mean in simpleton terms?

Any advice would be gratefuly received as other things have gone on and I question the solicitor competence.

Thanks
    Tags: None

A good starting point will be to understand the executors' reasons. Have you asked what they are?

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

They are saying that the will states assets are to be sold.

Comment

The solicitor/executor originally said you and your brother could keep the house. A bit concerning that the solicitor considered they initially misunderstood the wording in the will.
        Is it possible that the solicitor has discovered there isn't sufficient money in your father's estate to pay their executor fees without selling the house?

Comment

You and your brother are the beneficiaries, but who are the named trustees? The trustees have absolute discretion

Comment

Is a Variation to the Will another possibility if the solicitors stick to their position? To remove the requirement to sell? {Just speculating, I don't know if it's possible in this case.)
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Trustees have a duty to act to the benefit of the beneficiaries which may not be in accordance with the beneficiaries wishes.
              In this case the trustees may have decided that the brothers owning the property as joint tenants is not in their best interest.
              Buckey should study the rules of survivorship regarding joint ownership.
              The surviving brother will become the sole owner of the property. The brother that died first may have wanted beneficiaries other than his brother to inherit his 50% share of the value of the house
              There may be IHT to pay on 50% of the value of the house when ownership passes to his brother. This tax could diminish the remainder of his estate
              Last edited by Pezza54; 1st February 2024, 18:23:PM.

Comment

I agree that a deed of variation may be a solution. The OP could discuss this with the solicitors.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X