• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

`Competent landlord' Landlord and Tenant Act 1954

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• `Competent landlord' Landlord and Tenant Act 1954

This is a long shot, but I'm the Administrator of an estate that includes a commercial property. I want to serve the tenant with a section 25 notice, so as to initiate negotiations for a new lease, but I'm not sure whether or not I am the `competent landlord' for the purposes of the 1954 Act. The property is still registered in the name of the deceased, and as it's to be sold I hadn't bothered registering myself as the owner, though I suppose I may have to if that's necessary for me to serve a valid notice.

I'd have thought it would be easy to discover the legal position, but having spent the last hour or so trying to do so I've given up. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Tags: None

Have Letters of Administration been obtained? If so, then surely as administrator you come within s44 Landlord & Tenant Act 1954.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have taken out Letters of Administration as Attorney for the deceased's sister, who lives in the USA and is the sole beneficiary under the Intestacy Rules. However, section 44 states that the landlord is defined as "the owner of the .. [freehold] ... in the property comprised in the relevant tenancy", and it seems to me that my status does not equate to being the `owner' of the freehold.

Comment

But are you not administrator of the estate of the freehold owner?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I am, yes, but as such I'm merely a trustee, not the beneficial owner, and it's the definition of the word "owner" in the LTA that concerns me. I'm surprised there appears to be no authority on the point. In practical terms it may not be of any real importance, but it's annoying that I can't establish the position with any certainty.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X