• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Executor of will dealing with estate agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executor of will dealing with estate agent

Hi All,

I was named as the executor and beneficiary of a will, I am due to receive probate of the deceased estate which includes a buy to let property.

The estate agent who current let the deceased buy to let property have been very difficult in dealing with us, and we wanted to know is there a way we can void the contract with the letting agent on the grounds that the contract was with the deceased.

Thanks
    Tags: None

No. But you may be able to terminate the contract. Look at the contract wording (if need be ask the agent to provide a copy) and check the termination provisions.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Possibly the estate agent is being difficult because you don't have Probate yet? Technically it is only Probate that gives you the legal authority to deal the deceased's affairs so until you have it the estate agent is entitled to refuse to deal with you, although that seems a bit short-sigthted of them.

When you get Probate your position in relation to contracts is that you take on the rights that the deceased had. So whatever rights the deceased would have had under the contract are, after Probate, the rights that the Executors now have. You can't void the contract because it was with the deceased but presumably it has provision to cancel the contract and, after Probate, you can exercise that right.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

The contract is for 48 months, with no break clause after the first 12 months which we are passed. That's the only termination reference in the contract. We have given them a solicitor certified copy of the will which they have recognised as valid to discuss with us.

Comment

Spam post reported
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X