• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property in a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property in a will

My parents both recently passed away. Their will read that anything remaining was to be divided equally between my sister and me. She is the executor and told me there was nothing left, however, both of my parents names are on the deed to her house. Does that mean a portion of her house should now belong to me? Thank you in advance for helping me understand.
    Tags: None

If the parents names are on the Land Registry title as co-owners then the house might be part of their assets but it would depend what form of co-ownership it was. Were they co-owners as 'joint tenants' or 'tenants in common'? Joint property ownership: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) We don't have enough information to answer your question.

What's the story behind their names being on the Land Registry title?

Is it just the parents names or is your sister also named as a co-owner?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Can you please post the relevant text of the Land Registry title document.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

It is possible that the will says that any property owned by your F&M was owned by them as co-owners, and not in any other way. If so, then that interest died with them, and that the other interest survived them. Unless we know which was what we can not know whether any interest survived.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X