• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money 'Morally?' mine may not be Legally mine to freely spend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money 'Morally?' mine may not be Legally mine to freely spend?

I have been the sole carer of my Mum for many years. She had a terminal condition and once COVID came I shielded with her from the first week of March 2020 till her death this April. During a lot / all of that time I footed all the bills for things for her particular care as well as food. We do/did have a family but didn't get any help from them. Anything I thought would help - I got it. I didn't bother with her savings at all...I just did as much as I could by myself for her. If I had the money for whatever she needed - that's all that mattered to me.

But now the dust is settling she has quite the savings - only there because I've been paying for everything from my savings. And there is the problem! She doesn't have enough to go through Probate (so I'm told by her next of kin) but for me on Benefits it will far exceed the £6,000 I'm allowed before 'whatever happens when that happens happens' (my brain does not deal well with figures so that's why I am vague on that score and I may as well say now it is a part of a clinical mental diagnosis). So I'm thinking if the money that is 'morally' due to me, comes to me, I'll end up living off it till my savings come back down below £6,000 - aka "back to square one" as I am now? In other words it will go to the Government and I'll have to explain any expenditures the Govt think are excessive?

Is there a way of me getting that money somehow without of breaking the law and having it go to the Govt? I could get an electric bike (I'm old in my 50s now) and could get wonderful things for my hobby which is an expensive one? Honestly the whole thing has taken it's toll on my body, my mind, and well...it looks like my finances too. Doesn't seem fair my willingness to care for Mum has maybe backfired on me.

Any light at the end of this tunnel for me?

Tags: None

It is n ot clear where the £6,000 limit is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      It is n ot clear where the £6,000 limit is coming from.

If a benefit claimant has savings/capital in excess of £16,000 they are not entitled to benefits
      For savings/capital between £6,000 and £16,000 benefits are reduced
      Savings/capital under £6,000 are disregarded

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X