• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guidance on Will creation (nice easy question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on Will creation (nice easy question)

Hi,
    My partner and I do not have a Will and we would like your guidance on the most suitable Will for our needs and where to seek this from. Some details about ourselves:
    Both in our 40s.
    Not married and have never been married.
    We have no children and no dependants.
    We have lived in our only home for over a decade now, which is owned outright/no mortgage. We are 'Tenants in Common' on the deeds.
    We have a high amount of savings between us, both in joint accounts and individual accounts (roughly £300k combined).
    We both have multiple work-place pensions which have accumulated roughly £50k in total for each of us (so £100k combined).
    We have zero debt. Not even credit card debt.
    Neither of us are ill (touch wood). We're creating a Will each to be sensible.

I foresee my Will achieving the following should I pass-on:
    My share (50%) of the house goes to my partner (which it should do automatically as we're 'Tenants in Common' on the deeds).
    Every single penny I have, whether it be in the joint accounts or my individual accounts, goes to my partner.
    Every penny I have in my pensions goes to my partner (can this be done)?
    Every item I own (from my car to my socks, and from my golf clubs to my trainers, and from watch collection to my book collection) goes to my partner.
    Simply put 100% of everything I have goes to my partner.

My partner's Will will be the exact same as mine but, of course, all my partner's assets go to me.
    Should we both pass then we don't know what to do with our assets - Hmm.

I would imagine the Will to suffice ours needs is pretty simple to produce and therefore that may guide us on where/how etc.. to seek one each. Due to the high (I think it's high) individual worth we need something that won't let us down with legalities if the time arises.
    Is there a particular Will that we need?
    Is there a recommend place to have this Will created (local solicitors or online)? Of course we don't want to be paying hundreds if a Will to suffice us should cost £100 each (for example).

This forum give me the opportunity to detail specifics (which reading articles don't) and seek individual initial steps (when a solicitor may charge £100 just for this opening direction).
    Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dac18; 12th May 2023, 10:58:AM.
    Tags: None

No expertise in this area though others have. However you will need to know what you wish to do with the assets on second death before you go any further I would suggest

Comment

Most local solicitors will be able to do this for you. This kind of work is their bread and butter.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Not sure your share of the house goes to your partner automatically if you own it as Tenants in common, it would if you were joint tenants.

Comment

You are in a very nice, comfortable position. Sort out the Joint Tenants/Tenants in Common stuff first with a solicitor. Then go and enjoy yourselves!!! You have nobody else to leave your estates to …… no nieces, nephews, siblings???

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X