• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will, Probate and Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will, Probate and Confusion

My father recently died as a widower and the property was his in full.
    I as his son have lived with him in the property for 48 years. I have one sister who moved out decades ago, whom my father disowned.
    I have found his will and states that I am the sole benefiiciary, although in his last days he did mention that he changed the will giving her a couple of percent, hes mind was muddled at the time, so am not sure.
    The value of the property is around £430,000 with very little else in terms of cash, cars or investments. (Basically nothing else)
    I'm extremely low on cash so how can I start the probate procedure in the most cost effective way?
    Is there any issue if she gets the probate going before me with her few percent?
    Also is it true that the threshold for IHT is £500,000 if children are the beneficiaries?
    Tags: None

Also how do you find the solicitors whom my father made the will with if I dont know who they were?

Comment

If its just 1 property, 2 bank accounts with nothing in and zero other valuable assets, can the probate be done by myself?

Comment

The will might offer clues to the solicitors. Who are the witnesses?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          The will might offer clues to the solicitors. Who are the witnesses?
          Nothing on the will in terms of solicitors name or addresses, just a phone number on the envelope which isnt regognised. The witnesses are my next door neighbors of 25 years.

Comment

No letters or invoices amongst your father's papers?

You can write to all the local firms.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Speak to your neighbours

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X