• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lasting Power of Attorney matters - when an attorney dies suddenly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasting Power of Attorney matters - when an attorney dies suddenly

Hi

Many thanks for reading.

This case below is currently ongoing in Wales.

A relative of mine had Lasting Power of Attorney (probably both kinds) for her father who is now in a care home. Her father has a house, which one of the Attorney's - let's call her Angie - did not want to sell the house. One of the other attorneys - lets call her Vivian - wants to sell.

Angie died quite suddenly recently (at a young age). She is/was married with 2 children. Angie's spouse - let's call him Alan - is now worried about his rights to the property etc - as he may need some income to help support himself and Angie's children (one is 18, the other is 12).

Another of the attorney's - let's call her Jane - was also listed on the documents, but she also very sadly died in April and Angie was in the process of changing the LPA documents to reflect this sad situation.

So what can Alan do in this sort of situation please? How can he influence or have a say in what happens with the surviving attorney's wishes etc? Does he have any legal options?

Many thanks for your time!
    Tags: None

The LPA should specify what is to happen. It may well be that the surviving attorney is now sole attorney with full powers.

This reads a bit like a student question. Is it?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Were the attorneys appointed "jointly" or "jointly and severally"?

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        The LPA should specify what is to happen. It may well be that the surviving attorney is now sole attorney with full powers.

This reads a bit like a student question. Is it?
        No it's someone I know that is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Were the attorneys appointed "jointly" or "jointly and severally"?
          I am not sure - can you summarise how that might make a difference? Thanks.

Comment

Alan cannot do anything to affect the survivor's wishes. He is at a second remove from the testator's wishes.

Comment

The surviving attorney, if he still has power, should only be acting in the interests of the donor.

Whether or not the house is sold depends on the donor's best interests.

Why should Alan presume to have rights to the house if it is owned by the donor of the LPAs?
              Even if Angie was the daughter of the house owner (which is not clear), that owner is still alive.

I'm not sure to which testator dslippy refers

Comment

des8, I agree with all you have just said. And dslippy clearly meant the donor of the LPA.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. Alan has decided not to pursue this matter for the time being.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X