• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fake Will by The Living Come to Light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Will by The Living Come to Light

My brother has found a fake will in his house purportedly made by him. He did not sign the Will but it is signed by somebody else trying to copy his signature, a very bad signature which bears no relation to his signature. The Will is witnessed by two people. Clearly whoever signed the Will and the two witnesses are guilty. What's his best course of action and what might happen to those guilty if he choses to pursue this?
    Tags: None

Your brother should go to a solicitor. He should explain the situation and make a new will, even if this repeats what he considers to be his will. The point is to have a document that bears a later date than this fake will. The new will should expressly revoke all previous wills.

The police may be interested in an attempted fraud, if that is what it is.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes it’s attempted fraud. He’s already made a new Will. The perpetrator is a family member. If my brother goes all the way with the police then where would that leave those who were complicit in signing the Will and witnessing it. First my brother knew anything about it was when he found it. I think I know who signed it and the witnesses. This is theft on a grand scale.

Comment

He shouldn't jump to too many conclusions about who is 'guilty'.

He does need to do something. Calling for an explanation might be a start.

Comment

He knows who the witnesses are. Not brothers signature nor was he in room. He just stumbled across this

Comment

If I were your brother I'd take a photocopy of the forgery and confront the person who forged my signature with the photocopy and ask what they were playing at. (#3 says the perpetrator is a family member).

I'd tell them that I'd lodged the original document with my solicitor with instructions to take it to the police if anything "suspicious" happened to me.

Depending on the forger's explanation I might or might not take it further with the police...

[Edit: Actually lodging the forgery with his solicitor is optional. But the person your brother is confronting won't know if it's true or not]

Comment

What sort of punishment would a court issue to those proved complicit, the two witnesses and the one that forged the signature?

Who knows, the witnesses may have genuinely thought the testator that signed the will was my brother.

Comment

Have they been investigated, arrested, charged and convicted yet?
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No. I was just looking ahead to see what the outcome might be should he decide to take it further.

Comment

Right now, no one knows everything that will come out, for and against, that will be known to a judge when passing sentence. Imprisonment is a possibility, but not a certainty.

Comment

He's actually quite hurt by the whole thing and has said he wouldn't want those guilty imprisoned. I would think a conviction would be bad enough and hinder any career prospects

Comment

Depends on so much but the Fraud guildelines are here https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...rt/item/fraud/

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                          Depends on so much but the Fraud guildelines are here https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...rt/item/fraud/
                          That takes some reading! Difficult to interpret what category this case falls into.

Comment

You get used to using them! But a lot depends on value and circumstances

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X