• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Remove Executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Executor

an elderly lady with 4 children made a will, she listed her eldest as executor and should something happen to him her son in law is named. This is shocking to the rest of the family, they didnt realise at the time of the consequences. The family want him removed as his wife has been abusing her role as LPOA for her mother - he does not know the lady hardly and says the most awful things about her being a burden to his wife - is there a form we can send for him to sign and pass the role to one of her sons that the rest of the family approve of? I am sure he would be glad to be removed from the responsibility aware what his wife has been doing.
    Tags: None

A person named as executor can renounce the right to take out a grant of Probate: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...xecutor-rights

The rest of the family cannot prevent a person named as executor from taking up that appointment. If the lady still has capacity she could change the executor appointments by making a new will or a codicil to her will.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Only the lady can appoint a new executor.

Comment

Thank you for the replies Atticus and Dslippy - I wasnt accurate enough - Firstly the lady does not have capacity - The son is executor in the Will but the SIL is also down to replace him should anything happen to the son - It is the SIL we need to remove for her if possible , can we give him a form to sign to renouce himself? Can we get the family whom will all have an equal share to agree on a replacement if required?

Comment

Yes to both questions, but in each case remember that all relevant parties need to agree.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus for your help - so to summarise I can porduce a Notification To Renouce the SIL's role, appoint a new family member to replace him and he along with his wife and all beneficiaries in the will can all sign it then add it to the will
            At the same time can a beneficiary of a will Renouce themselves from any form of gain from the will in question if all other beneficiaries agree and sign?

Comment

Can we please be clear: someone named as executor can renounce the right to take out a Grant of Probate.

We have not discussed his position as beneficiary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X