• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Executor Dative Petition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executor Dative Petition

Hello I'm hoping someone can send me an Executer Dative petition form that includes complete. My elderly cousin died 2 months ago without leaving a will and I've been advised that as I am their only blood relative still alive I need to apply to the sheriff court here in scotland to become the Executor Dative.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Do you also need a grant of confirmation or do you only need a dative appointment?
    Is the estate below or above £36,000?

Comment

Google "Executor Dative petition form" and results will take you to "Form X-1"

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Google "Executor Dative petition form" and results will take you to "Form X-1"
        But Form X-1 is not a dative petition form.

Comment

Originally posted by sederunt View Post

But Form X-1 is not a dative petition form.
          Correct, my mistake.

However I think the form is as per schedule A of the Confirmation of Executors (Scotland) Act 1858 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ted?view=plain)

There is also guidance in this link: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/scottis...e-initial.html

Comment

Thank you very much

Its a small estate, nothing much at all and definately less than £36,000 so im not sure what more I'll need as ive only been advised to get an executor dative petition submitted. The language in the 2nd link looks as if its more 'up to date' so I'll copy this onto a word document and submit it the sheriff court. Do you know if I need to submit any form of proof if identification with the petition?

Comment

Can I ask, for those south of the border: is this an intestacy procedure?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Apologies, but if I use the template provided in the 2nd link, do I put my name and my deceased cousins name in upper case throughout the petition, and do I keep the square brackets as per the example, or do I remove the brackets and use upper and lower case as normal? Sorry for appearing so stupid, but I don't want to get it wrong when I submit it to the sheriff court. Thank you

Comment

If the estate is less that £36k and you also need a grant of confirmation you should not submit a dative petition but use the small estates procedure whereby the sheriff clerk will arrange the inventory and as part of the process you will be decerned executor dative.

There are advantages to using the small estates procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                    Can I ask, for those south of the border: is this an intestacy procedure?
                    Yes. the Scottish equivalent of letters of administration, but more difficult!

Comment

Originally posted by TriesHard View Post
                      Apologies, but if I use the template provided in the 2nd link, do I put my name and my deceased cousins name in upper case throughout the petition, and do I keep the square brackets as per the example, or do I remove the brackets and use upper and lower case as normal? Sorry for appearing so stupid, but I don't want to get it wrong when I submit it to the sheriff court. Thank you
                      The format on the template that DES8 linked to is the correct format for a dative petition but you will need to make a number of additional changes to reflect your own circumstances. I will send you details if you are going ahead - but see my other post about the small estates procedure.

Comment

As this is an intestate's small estate I understand you can obtain assistance from the sheriff clerk's office in the area where the deceased last resided.
                        That is probably a better option for you than seeking help from an anonymous forum.

Comment

atticus, Yes my elderly cousin died without leaving a will and I'm the closest surviving relative

Comment

Thank you DES8 I did contact the Commissary Records Unit at the sheriff court who said:

The process is described in Currie on Confirmation of the Executors Book 9th Edition. That provides styles and how to complete it.

They also said:

I am sorry , we are not legally qualified to give advice on how to complete this petitions

This is why I am seeking help here

Comment

The staff can help with other points though, such as the inventory.
                              Currie's is available for about £275 !

tagging ScottishSolicitor who might be able to advise

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X