• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Value of a car at time of death or when probate is granted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of a car at time of death or when probate is granted?

Hi,

My dad passed away last year, and after waiting a long time for a couple of issues with applying for probate I finally have the grant of probate more than a year after he died.

He left everything to me and my brother in his will.

My brother kept my dads car as he needed a new one, with me getting half of the value of the car from his share of the assets.

We are now at the stage of splitting the assets.

My question is, do we go with the value of the car at the time my dad died, or the value now.

Thanks.
    Bez
    Tags: None

You are not following the will, but your own arrangement. That is fine, but it is your arrangement. Reach an agreement.

Value as at when he took possession?

Comment

I agree. This is not something to fall out about, is it?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

We aren’t going to fall out over it just wanted to make sure we do everything properly, and wasn’t sure if there was a correct way of going about it.

I have suggested we go half way between what it was then and what it is now.

Does that seem fair?

Comment

Isn't the more important thing that it should seem fair to you and your brother? I am not going to say "yes, that's fair" if it is going to bring about discord.

Is the difference between the various possible figures going to be of any significance in the scheme of things?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X