• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are New York inheritance cases always this slow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are New York inheritance cases always this slow?

A distant relative died intestate in New York in 2006. Since then, an 'heir hunters' type firm has been working with a New York attorney to track down relatives (in UK and South Africa). 16 years later and we don't seem to be getting anywhere fast, even though we believe all relatives have been traced. I read in another forum that NY attorneys are notorious for sitting on such cases, presumably for their own advantage. This may be a completely unfair slur of course... We have no direct communication with the attorney office, only via the UK heir hunter firm. 16 years seems an awful long time to me. Is this typical for such cases? Does anyone have any similar experience?
    Tags: None

It does seem an awfully long time, but I have no experience of NY heir hunting expeditions, so . .
    Best of luck.

Comment

Could it be that your relationship to the deceased is too remote for you to inherit under New York State intestacy rules, and so just have not been contacted?

NY state intestacy distribution: https://law.justia.com/codes/new-yor...4/part-1/4-1.1

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Could it be that your relationship to the deceased is too remote for you to inherit under New York State intestacy rules, and so just have not been contacted?

NY state intestacy distribution: https://law.justia.com/codes/new-yor...4/part-1/4-1.1
        Very interesting info, thanks for sharing. I don't think that's the problem here but will certainly bear it in mind.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X