• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property left in trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property left in trust

My Grandmother owned a small house on a big bit of land. She died of covid at the start of 2020 and my father has refused to sort anything out. He is one of the executors of the will along with my aunt (his sister). As he has refused to deal with it ( he has had depression for years, doesn’t open his mail, emails, texts or post) I brought the probate record which states that power reserved to another executor and says my aunt is acting executor. My dad got divorced many years ago and I think my grandmother put her house in trust to my aunt to ‘prevent my mum getting any money’ (this made no sense).

now my grandma has passed and it looks as if probate has been granted how can I see who the property belongs to? Can I access the trust? Will the land register show who the property now belongs to (the trustee) now my grandma has died?

I feel I can’t speak to my dad about this. Him and my aunt had a big falling out and we have no relationship with her family. I feel like going to her would be a betrayal and make my dad angry.

My Dad had leant my grandma about £60k 10 years before she died which she never paid back. As this was a family loan I doubt any legal docs were drawn up.

I want my dad to get what he’s entitled to and honestly me an my siblings would like to buy a house as a it’s become impossible to live with my dad so we can choose to rent for the rest of our lives or wait this out.
    Tags: None

Your post is very difficult to reply to as you are making statements and not specific questions to help you.

The ownership of all property is registered in the Land Registry. Records can be searched, so finding who owns a property is not difficult. The same wit Probate. Once it has been granted, then anyone can purchase a copy to see what it shows.

You are in a difficult position, but if you will not speak to other members of your family, you will get nowhere, so try and calm down and speak to someone, but do it calmly on the basis that you are looking for some help, Not what you think you are entitled to as that gets you nowhere. How old are you and your siblings and your Father now as this my help with more replies.

Your parents have built up their assets over their lifetime and if they wish to make gifts or loans to anyone, it is their choice alone.

You say you want your dad to get what he is entitled to, but he already has that. It seems that it is you and your siblings that now feel you want part of his assets and he can be left on his own to manage.

If you feel that you cannot manage there, then go and find something to rent. Perhaps you could ask your Father for some financial help, but it;s totally up to him if he wants to help or not.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X