• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Benefit and maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefit and maintenance

Hello

im one of 2 administrators for an intestate estate where the beneficiary’s are all minors I am also the parent to them so will become a trustee, when I receive the funds I want to set up separate accounts for each child and then give it them at 18

my question is am I allowed to keep hold of some funds for the benefit and maintenance for the kids Incase they ever need anything that I wound struggle to pay for? I wound keep all records and proof of receipts

Tags: None

Hi JON3S2021

Can't answer directly, but here is some information, read page 21, 9.3.1 Rearranging how the estate is shared out,

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset...estate_fcs.pdf

Comment

The Trustee Act 1925 (Sec 31 & 32)) provides that in certain circumstances, capital from a Trust Fund may be advanced for the benefit, maintenance and education of a minor beneficiary before they reach the age of entitlement.

So open suitable saving account for each child with you named as trustee. Make sure the account allows you to access the money for advancement.
      No need to retain any funds separately.
      A better rate of interest might be obtainable from a JISA, but I believe that money cannot be accessed until the child reaches 18.
      So if there is sufficient cash for each child you might find it worth opening a JISA and an ordinary child's saving account.
      Talk to the banks to obtain best deal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X