• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension lump sum application prior to death - should will beneficiaries receive it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension lump sum application prior to death - should will beneficiaries receive it?

My Mother-in-law was offered to take up a lump sum in lieu of her widows pension towards the end of June 2021, She applied promptly, but unfortunately died late July.

The terms of the letter were that the lump sum was due to be paid on 01 Oct 2021 for all those that opted to take the lump sum.

After a few enquiries, the pension fund finally confirmed that the application for the lump sum was returned and acknowledged prior to my mother-in-law's death but they seem doubtful that the trustees will pay out, although no formal decision has yet been made.

Legally, should my wife (the sole beneficiary of my mother-in-law's will) be entitled to be paid that lump sum (subject to tax deductions either with respect to her or her mother-in-law's income before her death?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X