• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Grant of probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant of probate

My mum made me sole executor of her will and if i died before her then my cousin would be executor, Then in the will it states that my cousin would receive £1k if she takes out a grant of probate on mums estate, does that mean she's automatically entitled to the money or only apply if i was dead and she was executor???
    Tags: None

If your mother has passed, please accept our condolences

Without seeing the actual wording it is difficult to be certain, but it seems your mother was aiming to pay your cousin if she had to act as executor.
    Unless the will specifically allows a lay executor a payment, that executor can only claim expenses and not charge for their time.
    It seems your mother knew this and ensured your cousin's work as executor would be recognised.

If your cousin is not acting as executor she should not receive the money.

The above is subject to the wording of the will, and if in doubt consult a solicitor

Comment

Word for word it says If she takes out a grant of probate in my estate, but like I said before she only becomes executor if i died before mum.

Comment

Well if you took the grant and she hasn't, the payment is not made to her but lapses back into the residuary estate

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X