• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Must I give beneficiary the bank account details of where estate fund is held please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must I give beneficiary the bank account details of where estate fund is held please?

Good morning, I am sole executor of an estate, one of the beneficiaries has requested payment of their share by cheque, I have informed them that the bank where the funds are deposited does not issue a cheque book or counter cheques / bank drafts and that payment will have to be made by bank transfer and for which I will need their bank details, if they do not wish to provide details I have suggested I pay in to their solicitors account and they deal with them instead..

The beneficiary insists that I am wrong, refuses to provide their bank details and wants the full account details of the bank where the funds are held as they do not believe me! It's slightly bonkers as all I want to do is make payment, however, the bank definitely won't issue a cheque and I do not wish to provide the beneficiary with the bank account details as they tend to be obstructive whenever the opportunity arises and I see no good reason for them to have the details especially as the account is tied to my own personal banking.

I have a provided a full account of the estate to the beneficiaries solicitor and they are happy with that, is there any need for me to provide the full bank account details or am I on firm ground telling the beneficiary to sling their hook and to insist that without any bank details from them payment cannot be made?

many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice given.
    Tags: None

Hi ACTNOW2015

Do you know who their solicitors are? If you do, you could ask the solicitors for their bank details directly.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi ACTNOW2015

Do you know who their solicitors are? If you do, you could ask the solicitors for their bank details directly.
      Hi, Thanks for your your input, I have written today to their solicitor to ask whether they can approach their client about providing bank details or agree to accepting payment themselves on clients behalf.

They are becoming increasingly unpleasant in insisting that I provide the full details of the bank account where the finds are held, I have refused to give these on the basis that they are unnecessary and the beneficiary has all of the details they require given i have provided a full account of the estate which their solicitor is happy with.

If someone here can tell me what the legal position is please on whether I am compelled to give the bank account details I would be most grateful.

Comment

Maybe the ICO can answer that from a Data Protection Perspective.

https://ico.org.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X