• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

14 years on - no probate, no change on land registry....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 years on - no probate, no change on land registry....

Where do I start!?

My late grandfather passed away in 2007. At the time my grandmother, mum and brother-in law appointed a solicitor (a friend of an accountant they used) to obtain probate and deal with the will. Recently we obtained the land registry details of a piece of land that my late grandfather left in his will to my mother, but the land is still in my late grandfathers name. This obviously needs to be changed - how would his be achieved?

To change the land registry details, we would need, amongst other things, a grant of probate. Therefore, I looked at the register of probate that have been granted and discovered probate was never granted.

We have tried to track down a copy of the will to no avail.

Our ultimate aim is to ensure the land registry is corrected ASAP and we are wondering what the best way to achieve this is? My widowed grandmother is still with us. Do we just engage a local solicitor? Will they be able to help?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Don't suppose the solicitor who dealt with your grandfather's estate is still around?

Assuming you are located in England or Wales your grandmother will have to obtain a grant of letters of Administration (https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate) to change the Land Registry proprietorship details.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Don't suppose the solicitor who dealt with your grandfather's estate is still around?

Assuming you are located in England or Wales your grandmother will have to obtain a grant of letters of Administration (https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate) to change the Land Registry proprietorship details.
      Thank you!

The solicitor is still around, but he has said some concerning and incorrect statements so we are hoping to engage a new solicitor to deal with this.

Development - we have found a signed copy of the original will with witness signature etc. The solicitor's (that stored the will) stamp is on there and they are still practicing (different to the solicitor that was engaged to complete probate originally). Would we be able to get an affidavit from them (stating that this is a copy of the will etc) and obtain probate this way and complete the change at the land registry as required.

Comment

You will have to ask them if they will support your application.
        From memory you need to give the court as much info as possible and eventually they grant probate.
        Takes longer than normal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X