• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Avoiding other executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding other executor

Evening,

I'm writing because I am a joint executor of my mother's Will along with my only sibling. My mother is alive and nearly 80. My sibling is very much glued to her side and involved in her finances to the point where she is currently financially benefitting from the relationship. I believe sibling is taking or being given money from mother's accounts whilst she's alive to minimise the 50/50 share of what's going to be left to us in the will.

My mother has full capacity and her and my late father have given my sibling a vast amount of money on more than one occasion. That's their decision, albeit not a very wise one as sibling always wants more.

This sibling and I have no contact as I feel our mother is being taken advantage of but there is nothing I can do to stop it as Mother is choosing to continue with things being this way.

When my mother passes away I will be forced to work with this sibling as we are both executors of the will.

I am wondering if there is a way I can be an executor but have nothing to do with the sibling. They are going to try to take as much as they can, they are going to try to keep secrets and they are going to tell lies and not communicate fully with me over the will. I anticipate lots of stress, anger and upset. I have a very peaceful life and could do without this crap on the horizon.

Just to add me, sibling and Mother were joint executor and trustees of father's will and I never saw the will or had anything to do with it after he died, sibling took control of the lot and mother allowed this. Mother was sole beneficiary.

​​​​​​thanks
    Tags: None

If your fathers will went to probate then you can obtain a copy of it.

Comment

Hi Ostell
      TBH I don't care what was in the will. I know my mother was sole beneficiary and I know my father would have been slipping sibling money in the side shortly before he died they both thought they were very clever doing this kind of thing. I couldn't care less for the greed and disgusting behaviour they've displayed over the money, there's more to life and they can't see that sadly

I just don't want to have to be involved with this sibling when my mother passes away and hope I could be an executor without having to be involved with them because they will just cause stress and upset that I could do without bringing into my life and my home.

Comment

You could always renounce your executorship https://www.thegazette.co.uk/wills-a...#39;s%20estate.

There is another option k/a "power reserved". In this case the executor stands aside from the day to day running te estate, but can step back in if the other executor cannot continue eg because of illness. https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...an-in-probate/

Comment

Thanks Des
          I want to make sure my mother's wishes are upheld and have nothing to do with the sibling.

I suppose my choice is stand back and let them take control where I know they will be dishonest or make sure things are done properly but that means engaging with the sibling and getting caught up with all the problems they will cause.

Comment

Well you could always appoint your own solicitor to act for you.
            His charges will be taken from the estate as executor's costs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X