• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Financial Provision for a minor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Provision for a minor

My sister died 3 weeks ago and I am now guardian to her teenage son. There was no will and her husband of 2 years says there is no money and will not engage with me about any of the financials , they lived in a rented flat. She worked for a company that a death in service benefit that was left to the husband - £80k, can I apply for financial provision from that lump sum for my nephew?
    I have no money to pursue with a solicitor- can I self represent and what is the process?
    Tags: None

In my view, you will probably not have a claim against the husband, but it might be worthwhile finding out the details of the death in service scheme o see if my view is accurate.

The child's surviving parent is liable for the child's maintenance.

Comment

Oh that’s disappointing I was hoping for better news. Father lives overseas and is estranged.

Comment

Just a thought should I register for a search on the estate to check that there is nothing to claim for my nephew ?

Comment

Yes. I would be inclined to apply for letters of administration as there was no will.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X