• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Phillips and cohen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips and cohen

Good evening everyone

My father passed away and I was next of kin and had to sort out his estate.

He had £3600 debt being chased by phillips and cohen
    After everything was sorted they was only 400 left to give them and that was it sorted. We have just found out he had another small life policy for £1000.

What do we have to do with it?

Thanks for you help
    Tags: None

Anyone around to help on this?

Comment

So have P & C accepted the original sum offered? If so then don't raise the issue.

Who was the named beneficiary of the insurance policy?

Comment

My dad was

Comment

Be careful.
          If you as executor distribute estate assets prior to discharging a debt, you could be held personally liable for that debt..... if the debtor discovers it!

If, after creditors have accepted offers additional assets are found , they should be offered to creditors . Only after all creditors have confirmed in writing that their files are closed and remaining debt written off, should any money be given to beneficiaries.

Comment

He didn't have a will. I'm just next of kin. He didn't own a house or car and didn't have any stocks or shares or anything of value. So all I have done is try to sort out his affairs

Comment

As the person who sorted your father's estate, with or without probate, you should do it according to the law.
              If you don't, and if it is discovered, you may be held liable.

How anyone finds out is a mystery!

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I will call them as surely they would be able to check for life insurance payouts

Comment

Originally posted by carlos09 View Post
                  surely they would be able to check for life insurance payouts
                  How and where?
                  There are two databases, one references house & contents claims, the other motor claims.
                  I am unaware of any involving life assurance

Comment

Did they accept the payment as full and final?

Comment

I haven't had any paperwork of them recently so I'm not sure. Been a pretty bad time what with home schooling trying to work and having covid

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X