• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Abuse of Power of attorney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abuse of Power of attorney

My husband just gained power of attorney over his father, who has been in his daughter’s care for the past 2 1/2 years. He got access to his bank account and saw that she has used every bit of his income on herself - really outrageous expenses, including a $700/mth car payment. My husband and I brought him to our home a week ago and he is in the hospital for the second time. They discovered a very large tumor in his lung that is making it difficult for him to breathe. He has a partially collapsed lung, he is emaciated, and bedridden. While she has been spending all of his money on herself - huge shopping trips, very expensive restaurants, $600 in one day on gaming, etc.., he has been struggling to breathe, without medical treatment. And she is a nurse - she should have known he needed to see a doctor. All of his money was gone +overdrawn the first week of this month. We have been paying for his medicine and other necessities.Her farewell to her dad was, “Don’t worry about me. I’ll be ok. My car will continue to get paid for.” ..repeated about 5 times loudly because he’s hard of hearing.

I don’t think we are going to take her to court. We don’t want to upset her dad, who loves her very much. We would like to make it so that she didn’t get a penny more out of him, though. Somehow, she’s still gaining access to his bank account. We think that she held on to her power of attorney papers. We are having a hard time getting his social security switched to a new account, and her car payment will come out automatically. And we worry she has taken out a life insurance policy on him, as well. She and her husband make good money, yet they were using all of his money on themselves. How do we keep her from getting any more money from him?
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your father in law's condition and your obvious concerns.

From your post you appear to be in the USA.
    If that is correct, I regret you are unlikely to receive much useful advice here as this is a UK based site, but I wish you and your family well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X