• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Left out of my mum's will - gift from sister - tax implications?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left out of my mum's will - gift from sister - tax implications?

Hello I had a fall out with my mother and she left me totally out of her will and left everything to my sister (around £70,000). My sister isn't comfortable with this and wishes to give me half (approx £35,000) when she receives the money. If my sister does this is she or am I liable to pay tax on this money under current rules (either Inheritance Tax or Capital Gains Tax?). Thanks in advance.
    M
    Tags: None

Condolences on the passing of your mother

It is nice to hear for once of a family that wish to keep on good terms and not risk a fallout following a bereavment.

Good news and bad news
    Basically no tax to pay on the gift from your sister immediately, altho any interest it earns will be taxable.
    The bad news is that you may have to pay inheritance tax when your sister passes away..

If your sister wants to give you that money the better way might be by varying the will Change a will after a death - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X