• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance

Hey, I'm a little new here so bear with me.

I am in a little bit of a strange situation, unfortunately my mother passed away quite some time ago and recently my Nan has been moved into a care home with not much time left. It looks like my Auntie, my mother's sister will be looking to sell her house as she is now the power of attorney meaning she will receive all the monies. (£1m+)

I can't help but feel powerless in this situation, although I love my nan to bits and I wouldn't want anything to happen to her but I need to be smart as I don't want my Auntie to take everything, she has already said she is the only daughter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

First up, if your aunt does sell your Nan's house, the proceeds have to be kept for your Nan.
    They do not become your Aunt's.
    Your Aunt should keep an exact book of accounts for your Nan's money.

If your Nan has not left a will, when she passes her estate has to be divided according to the rules of intestacy.
    Assuming your nan is widowed her estate is divided equally between her children, or their descendants.
    As your mother has already passed on her children (the grandchildren of your Nan) inherit in her place.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am based in the United Kingdom and just to be clear the POE is my uncle not Aunt, who is not blood related.

There is a will (I have never asked details etc) and the chances of her house being sold are very likely, would the proceeds go to nans bank account or my uncles, how could they really keep a good track record? Do solicitors keep an eye on it?

Is there a specific law or term that I could search for more information?

Comment

It would be a crime for someone with authority to manage your Nan’s affairs to not be able to account for the contents of her bank account or proceeds of sale.

Comment

There's a brief description of an attorney's duties here: Lasting power of attorney: acting as an attorney - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X