• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LPA - obtaining certified copies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPA - obtaining certified copies

I am a registered attorney for my Father's LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney), which has been in place for a number of years. Sadly, he now has fairly advanced dementia, and I wish to obtain copies of the certificate so I can help Mum look after his rather complicated financial affairs.
    I've approached the solicitor who holds the original certificates. He is asking for a letter from a consultant to verify my Dad is unable to manage his own affairs before he releases a certified copy of the LPA certificate to me.
    Whilst this should be possible to obtain, it will take some time, and in my mind just puts another unnecessary burden on an overburdened NHS service!
    My understanding of LPA was that is can be exercised at any time by any of the attorneys without needing explicit permission from the donor (my Dad) or a doctor to verify mental incapacity. Somehow it doesn't seem right to me that the solicitor is requiring me to jump through hoops before they issue me with a certified copy?

Can anyone with a better understanding of how this should work advise me - is there anything I can say to the solicitor to make them issue the certificate without having to get the letter from a consultant first?

My Mum (who is also an attorney) holds a certified copy. She wants to keep this copy (understandably), but would it be possible for us to get another solicitor to make a certified copy from this, or does a certified copy have to be made from an original?

(For reference the LPA is "joint & severally")
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X