• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

stepmother witholding everything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stepmother witholding everything

Im hoping somebody can please help as i don't know where to start in finding out if and how much or what my dad left me in his will.

My dad passed away 4 years ago now and was married to my stepmother of 43 years. there is myself my full sibling brother a half brother i share with my dad and a step brother who is my stepmoms son.

Myself and my stepmom fell out the day of funeral and didnt speak for at least 6 months but since then have had a strained relationship as never felt she liked me and was actually jealous of me. im the only girl.

The year before my dad passed (knowing he was il due to terminal cancer) had visited me with stepmom and informed me in front if a close friend that they had both just came back from solicitors and sorted the will and had put forward my step brother and full brother as executors of said will to ensure it is distributed evenly and fairly between us siblings my 2 children and my full brothers 2 children.

Fast forward to present day my stepmother has never mentioned anything about what my dad left me as in money or sentimental items. other than a gold chain my dad always wore but kind of added that i wouldnt recieve this until she passed away *♀️this last year myself and my 25 year old daughter have been the only ones to have much contact with her as my brothers all live 3 hours away and have busy lives. but we now dont speak at all due to several arguments and disagreements. in one txt message to my daughter she had wrote i think i need to change my will and this was after another row and this message was mistakenly sent to wrong person.

She is still in contact with my step brother and full sibling and to this day we have still not questioned her. but after a long think i decided to message my full brother and ask him if he was executor and what had happened to our dads will to be told he has no idea of this and has never been told anything and seems to think its all been left to step mom and i wont recieve a penny.

My dad had several expensive cars motorbikes which she sold. his own business which she has since sold for approx 150k and there house is worth at least 300k and its no secret my dad had plenty of money. my step brother meanwhile has brought a barn conversion house on a plot of land that cost approx 400k and has been renovating this ever since at a highly cost so im convinced she has helped towards costs as he is her son only and has always favoured him.

I would also like to add that my half brother has now also been diagnosed with the same terminal illness my dad had and i really wish she would take pity and at least give him his share to do with as he pleases to ensure he at least enjoys what time he has left which probably will only be another year.

All help and advice as to where i go from here would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Your starting point is your father's will.
    Has probate been granted? search here: https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Do you know how the house was owned ie joint tenants or tenants in common? search here https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

Following that, I don't suppose you know which solicitor drew up the will?

You (and your siblings) might be able to make a claim against his estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependants) Act 1975

Comment

thankyou for replying. there is no record of probate and i will look into title ownership but my dad was well known to dodge the books should we say so wouldnt surprise me if he had put the house in her name.

I have no idea what solicitor they used though.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X