• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can civil partner benefit from will of mother in law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can civil partner benefit from will of mother in law

Good afternoon. My widowed mother in law recently passed away. My husband is one of her two children. His brother passed away 12 years ago and was in a civil partnership at the time. His brother had 2 children from a previous relationship.

My mother in laws will stipulated that her estate was to be split equally between her two sons. As one of them is now also deceased we assumed that the estate would be split 50% to my husband and the remaining 50% to be split equally between his two nephews. Is this the case or would the inheritance donto me late brother in law actually pass to his civil partner? This is in Scotland.
    Tags: None

Scottish rights of succession are not something we usually deal with, but the Succession (Scotland) Act 2016 sec 6 clearly states that a "deceased legatee’s issue is entitled to receive [ ] the share which the deceased legatee would have received if alive".

So it appears your assumption is correct

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X