• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intestacy rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intestacy rule

Hi
    I'm wondering if anyone can help please?
    Does the 28 day intestacy rule apply to a beneficiary who died several days after the deceased?
    Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

The 28 day survivorship period permitted by the intestacy rules means that a beneficiary has to survive the deceased by 28 days to inherit.

.This applies even to the surviving spouse (Law Reform (Succession) Act 1995).

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Would it apply* to a sibling? Many thanks.*

Comment

applies to any beneficiary

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          applies to any beneficiary
          BUT if that beneficiary had children, then those children would inherit per stirpes

Comment

Thank you. Sorry another question!
            If the beneficiary does not survive the required 28 day period, what happens to the inheritance?
            Thanks.

Comment

It's dealt with as part of the estate under the intestacy rules

Comment

Thank you for your time I do appreciate it, I'm such a novice at this. So if a beneficiary of an estate going through probate dies a week later and had children where does the money go to? I'm very confused, if it's not obvious! Thanks again for your time.

Comment

This is becoming confusing..... probate has nothing to do with intestacy rules.
                  The survivorship rules relate to the time of death

Can you tell us who has passed and what relatives are left?
                  The rules are set out in*the Administration of Estates Act 1925 and amended by the Inheritance and Trustees Powers Act 2014

Comment

Sorry my fault, I'm trying to research it on the internet and getting up jumbled up! Yes it's my dad's brother who died and then his other brother died a week later. Neither of them had a will. The first brother that died is the eldest and my dad is the youngest of the three. The second brother who died has children that he hasnt had contact with for 30 years.*
                    Thanks again I do appreciate it.

Comment

any spouses still alive ?

Comment

The oldest brother never married and the other brother divorced about 30 years ago*

Comment

so "A" dies first, followed 1 week later by brother "B" (who has surviving children) survived by brother "C".

Assuming both parents are already dead:
                          A's estate goes 50% each to B & C
                          B's estate (including his 50%) goes to his children

Comment

Thank you, that made it easy to understand and thanks for all your time too.*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X