• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I have any rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have any rights?

Do I have any rights? My father has just died from a long battle with cancer. I have just found out he made a will in November last year, I am not in it at all. He made a statement to say i have no rights to claim on his estate as we had very little contact, which i don'tunderstand as we were in contact through messages and phone calls? Plus I was his next of kin last year I don't know when that changed. We spoke two days after him making it and never said a word about the will. He has made two of his friends executors/ trustess of the will. I do understand they did a lot for him while he was ill. So they should get something, I am being shut down when asking questions. The funeral is going to be a direct crematorium so I can't even go to that, I have asked for his ashes they are saying yes but I feel j won't get them.His freind is saying I am just carrying out his wishes. I have not seen anything on how he wanted to be cremated I went and got the death certificate, so I have that with me.he has told me is has already sorted a lot of the affairs out and just needs a copy for the important things.I don't think he has got the grant of probate yet.In the will it says something about upon trust absolutely, then his friends name plus someone else.I am thinking this might be his pension fund but not sure.He told me in June last year he had a pension fund and I would get what was left after he died. I have asked how much his estate is worth but the executor won't tell me, i have also contacted the firm that did his will, and they said they only delt with the will. I have asked them for the contact number of their solicitor he is saying no any post or communication is to go through them and they will pass it on to their solicitor. Please can you advise me what to do. Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your loss, and the ongoing concerns.

Do you have a copy of the will? It is difficult to comment on just the odd phrase.

Does the estate include real property, stocks or shares? If so the executors will need obtain a grant of probate.
    You can find out here if a grant has been given:*https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

If you have been left out completely you might be able to make a claim under The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants ) Act 1975
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/63
    There is a very strict time limit*of six months from the grant of* probate within which to bring a claim under the act.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X