• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Executor transferring assets prior to probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executor transferring assets prior to probate

Hi

My Father has just passed away and the executors are my younger brother and sister. My Fathers Will divides his estate equally between four of us.

Before notifying the bank of his death, they have transferred 25K sterling from his savings account to an account in my Brothers name (joint Executor) 'on the advice of the Registrar' according to my sister. I assume they have done this online using my Fathers login details to his bank account. This is ostensibly to cover expenses and she says that all expenses and receipts will be fully accounted for.

Whilst I trust my sister, I assume this is not in accordance with the law in respect of the duties and responsibilities of an Executor. I would appreciate any advice on this matter as to whether I should say anything as a beneficiary
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your father's passing.

It is standard procedure for a bank to close a deceased's account and then transfer the proceeds to an "executors account" prior to a grant of probate.

Each bank has its own limits on the amount they will so treat.

The advantage for the estate is that it allows for the funeral and other immediate expenses to be paid immediately.
    Failing this arrangement the executors might have to borrow money to pay these expenses and so cost the estate interest and extra charges

I would advise against questioning this situation, as it might only cause tension at a time when people are still grieving.
    The time to question it will be when you receive the final accounts, if you are a residuary beneficiary

Comment

Thanks Des8. Appreciate the advice. I've not raised any eyebrows over this as I am resident outside of the UK and my brother and sister are dealing with all the day to day issues.**

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X