• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate, Council Tax and a very, very, very difficult co-executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate, Council Tax and a very, very, very difficult co-executor

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this. I am dealing with an extremely difficult and awkward co-executor. I have had a letter from his solicitor stating that they believe there are council tax liabilities due which have not been accounted for in the proposed probate application? Is this something that a solicitor should even be looking at for probate purposes? Council tax would have been in joint names and as there is a survivor surely this would not come into probate??? Also if there was any issue or concern wouldn't it be dealt with by the Council and wouldn't they get in touch with the surviving spouse? Very perplexed by this latest turn of events which seems to be just the latest in a long line of delaying tactics. HELP!!
    Tags: None

If there was a joint council tax liability on the property (as per s6 of the local government finance act 1992) then each party is jointly responsible for full payment. If one party was to die then any balance would continue to be recoverable, in full, from the surviving liable party.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response which is really helpful. So are they placing too much emphasis on this as an excuse to delay?

Comment

I would say so, in my opinion - from working in dealing with council tax disputes for nearly 2 decades I'd say they're worrying about nothing major (certainly not enough to create any serious issues).

Comment

Brilliant. That's really helpful. Thank you so much.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X