• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate delayed: can't find an NI number, marriage date & date of birth/ death.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate delayed: can't find an NI number, marriage date & date of birth/ death.

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me please? My father died in December 2017. The Executor of his estate wants to find out if my father was receiving any money from his second wife's pension after her death in 1995. The solicitor, dealing with the probate, says we need to find the second wife's National Insurance number, date of marriage to my father, and her date of birth or death in order look into this. My father's second wife had a teacher's pension after she retired and we don't know if he was getting any of this after she died (she predeceased him by some 20 years). We cannot find any documentation, among my father's papers, that gives the information the solicitor requires. (Unfortunately, we are not on good terms with the surviving step family so it will be difficult obtaining information from them.) Is there any way we can obtain this information, if so how might we get it? Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
    Tags: None

Hi Spindog,

Have you checked the national archives? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...and-and-wales/ Maybe start at the date of death so then you'll hopefully locate date of birth. Almost work backwards so to speak. Records are no longer data protected after death so maybe once you have a date of birth and death you can contact Teacher's Pension. I'm afraid I'm not sure how successful this will be but may be worth a try. The other option would be to search on a genealogy site. There may be a fee for this.

I assume the tax office has been contacted already? They may be able to help and of course if your father was receiving a % of his late 2nd wife's pension it would more than likely have been paid into a bank account? Maybe check some older bank statements?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer but hopefully you may find further information trying these options. If you find an easier way than plating detective, do post it on here. It could be useful for others. Good luck.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X