• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Name added to Title Deed

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Name added to Title Deed

    Dear All,

    My mother has recently added my name to the title deeds of the family home. The Land Registry has registered us as Tenants in Common (50/50 share).

    The reason my mother has done this is because I reside in the home and take care of most of her day-to-day needs.

    I have 4 siblings and I am slightly concerned that they may dispute this in the future. Is there any thing I should do to legally protect myself against this happening?

    Thank you for your suggestions/advice.

    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi Froebel,
    Sorry for the delay, missed the post on the forum. I appreciate why your mother has done this and it is a way of trying to protect part of the property from any potential care fee assessment should that become necessary in the future. However there are potential issues that remain particularly where half the property has been passed to another with no 'consideration' whether that is money or money's worth being given for the share.
    Has the situation not been discussed with your siblings? Would that be an option? At least things could possibly be headed off before any real issue arises and your mother can explain the reasons for her decision.
    You will both need to get wills prepared to ensure that your respective shares of the property are left to appropriate people when the time arises.
    Did your mother get any advice on what was the best course of action to protect you in the property? How does she propose dealing with her estate when the time comes?
    It may be sensible for her (and you if you retain the 50% legal share) to get some face to face advice on this from a private client specialist.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm