• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dealing with beneficiary who has removed property to which she is not entitled

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dealing with beneficiary who has removed property to which she is not entitled

    My sister snd I are executors of my mother's will and all of her "goods and chattels" were also left to us, although we have every intention of dividing them equally between all three siblings who also inherit equal shares of the rest of the estate. However my other sister has had access to my mother's flat and has removed two photographs, of which I would at least like to have copies, but she is refusing to return the photographs, to allow copies to be made and now even to discuss the matter at all.

    Can we withhold my sister's inheritance pending the return of the photographs?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi Straightbat,

    Sorry it has come to this. It is always difficult when issues arise between siblings once a parent has died. Would your sister agree to arrange for copies to be made herself for you rather than returning the photo for you to copy it?

    Just trying to think of another way to deal. It would be sad for the estate distributions to be delayed due to the photo situation. It could get very nasty and technically your sister could apply to the Court for the distribution to go ahead. I anticipate a Court would see no reason to not distribute based on the monetary value of two photos. The Court could potentially make a costs order against the executors personally too which would not be helpful for anyone.

    I appreciate the sentimental value is important to you all but I would see if you can try and come to an agreement between you.
    I am a qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to provide guidance on a wide range of legal queries. I am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    upgrade to vip

    Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

    only £15/yr

    Offers available. No subscription traps.

    sign up now

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm