• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Email scam do not open the attachment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email scam do not open the attachment.

My O/H received an excellent scam purporting to be from British Airways. Since we have not purchased any tickets to travel he knew it was a scam, although to all intent and purpose it looks very genuine, it just misses and lacks a few important details.

It is an E Ticket receipt but with no money being shown as paid or where the E Ticket is taking you to etc.

They want you to open the attachment, therefore my advice is if you receive this one DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT as I feel it would have serious consequences.

I
    Tags: None

Re: Email scam do not open the attachment.

Hi Tuttsi, I unfortunately fell for a similar scam last year, this was from American Airlines stating this attachment was my e-ticket etc, thinking that they had perhaps emailed it to the wrong person (my email address is my name so possible) and trying to do the right thing to save some poor soul waiting for their tickets, I opened the attachement to see if I could get any details off it, and released a trojan that took over my laptop, even managing to get passed my ESSET security system (not easy) ... took ages to get rid of it (good job my OH is a whizz with IT) and I had to do a complete system restore and lost all my pics, music, personal letters etc, I was gutted! Thats the last time I try to "do the right thing" where emails are concerned.
    One life - Live it!

Comment

Another scam my other half received today by email again. This time it was for parking in central London on Monday. Yes we were in central London on Monday but at the time stated we were at the Hammersmith Hospital in their car park. This scam asked that he pays £33 which included their fees lol. The street they quoted did not even exist but again looked the genuine article. I assure you if he had parked in Central London he would have had his car towed away or clamped. The thing was he waited in the car for me whilst I attended an appointment at the Brompton Hospital so he was sat in the car for 30 minutes. No wardens or anyone snooping at the car and how would a private parking company know his email address. But it is strange that of all the days we were in Central London.

Times and place however did not agree with where we were and also he was using my car and they wrote to him so how would they tie up to my husbands details.

I have a feeling these scams are going to keep on coming. So what ever you do, do not open attachments and do not pay them any money and just delete ASAP.

Comment

I got one this morning allegedly from Avios, re my flights to Australia, it was very tempting to open as we are at the moment researching prices to go at the end of January, I can only think that they got my details off one of the sites that I've been doing research on.

Comment

You certainly must be careful with all these scams going on. They seem to be rife at the moment.
          As you have not booked yet and you were only doing research you must be very careful.

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
          I got one this morning allegedly from Avios, re my flights to Australia, it was very tempting to open as we are at the moment researching prices to go at the end of January, I can only think that they got my details off one of the sites that I've been doing research on.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
            Another scam my other half received today by email again. This time it was for parking in central London on Monday. Yes we were in central London on Monday but at the time stated we were at the Hammersmith Hospital in their car park. This scam asked that he pays £33 which included their fees lol. The street they quoted did not even exist but again looked the genuine article. I assure you if he had parked in Central London he would have had his car towed away or clamped. The thing was he waited in the car for me whilst I attended an appointment at the Brompton Hospital so he was sat in the car for 30 minutes. No wardens or anyone snooping at the car and how would a private parking company know his email address. But it is strange that of all the days we were in Central London.

Times and place however did not agree with where we were and also he was using my car and they wrote to him so how would they tie up to my husbands details.

I have a feeling these scams are going to keep on coming. So what ever you do, do not open attachments and do not pay them any money and just delete ASAP.

This has just been on the news about 800 emails have gone out as far as they know.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20239746

Comment

Just heard this on the the bbc news that the parking was a major scam. Thanks for the link Enaid.If it came as a result of City of Westminster he did pay congregation charge that day so that now makes sense how his email came together with my car.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X