• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT again!

Bt customer for over eight years.
    Got wifi coming up to four years ago.
    DD payment up to date.
    In May they took £2 more than they should but still had old figure on the online site.
    When I ? it they appologised and payments reduced.During the last month the wi fi has been playing up abd was off for two days at the end of August and again about a week ago it was off for about twelve hours.As every one knows they out source the call centre and I got really frustrated trying to explain my set up.
    was promised I would get something back for the lack of service but had to phone again in order to get this.
    I had picked up a leaflet from the post office and on paper they will work out almost £10 cheaper.
    When I phoned them to ask for Mac code they asked why but then told me my "contract" did not end until next May and if I wanted to move it would cost me over £70.
    Apparently when I ? the DD in May they also "rewrote" the contract.
    Very very angry, anything I can do?
    Nine times out of ten when you call you are connected to the outsoured centre and there is a certain amount of lack of understanding.
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Re: BT again!

i may be wrong but i think you have been told utter crap

just like a mobile phone contract, when your contract finishes, you do not renew, you go onto an automatic rolling contract until you decide to give a months notice to cancel

Comment

When you spoke to them, did they say that you were entering in to a new contract?
      Have you recieved any paperwork to confirm this, either by email or by snail mail as they are legally obliged to provide it, if they rework the dd due to an error they have no legal right to restart the contract, especially if they are reinstating a previous offer.

I suggest ringing them back and asking for the Customer Options Team and asking when you agreed either in writing or via an agreed verbal signature (we used to ask for a place of birth to confirm that the customer knew they were in contract) and making sure this is provided, if they cannot provide this, inform them you will be speaking to OFCOM regarding illegal charges as no agreement was made with them to lengthen the contract, and ask for the calls to be listened to, you are also legally allowed to ask for a copy of the recording, as you made it in may they should have it.

If you go down the route of a SAR I will be happy to translate the jargon for you.

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
        i may be wrong but i think you have been told utter crap

just like a mobile phone contract, when your contract finishes, you do not renew, you go onto an automatic rolling contract until you decide to give a months notice to cancel
        Exactly correct Millitant my dear

Unless you call up with 1 months notice your contract rolls over until such time as you request either a cease or a change to contract.
        Also they HAVE to by law make sure you are aware you are entering in to a new contract, normally this is done by paperwork being signed or what is known as a verbal signature, i.e place of birth, date of birth, mothers maiden name etc.
        They also by law have to let you know why they are asking for this information i.e "I am now renewing your contract Mrs R, please may I take your place of birth as a verbal signature that you are aware you are now tied in to a X months contract with us, and that you are happy for me to go ahead..." the notes will then read POB : The Hospital

Comment

Thank you both!

Comment

Found the e-mail which I printed, I just thought I was changing the call package but it does look as if they also did the broad band, so now what do I do:tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

if you do not request the change to your broadband I would suggest you phone up and ask if you can be told the verbal or written signature for agreeing to prolonging your contract, if they cannot provide it, complain to OFCOM about it.

Was the money off a goodwill measure or did you agree to it after asking to leave? maybe it was a deal you had agreed to that had for some reason not been actioned. if it was a goodwill or they replaced an exsisting discount after their own error, they cannot extend the contract, if you agreed to stay longer if they did it, not a great deal can be done about it.

I would insist the call be listened to and ask to be told the wording of the call especially the part where you agree

"I am adamant I did not request an extention to my contract, i require the call be listened to, and to be advised of the exact wording of my agreement, was it my date of birth? my mothers maiden name, and were the words, this is a new contract used? if this call is not found or my request cannot be found on this tape, I will assume I am out of contract and have no set termination fees as I never formally agreed to this new contract. I will be also complaining to Ofcom regarding this matter, please note the account to this effect. "

Comment

It was the direct debt up by £2 initially No notice of this and not on expected payment on web site.
                No appology for this, cannot remember exactly what was said and it was the call centre.At the next DD payment was down by this has been consistent since.However e mail I save is for a completly different amount.The compensation due is for the time the broad band was off. I do not get the pedicted speed but that is due to the distance between me and the exchange as we live down a unadopted road and all wires are on poles. This is still not showing on the web pages.

Comment

Make a formal complaint with the customer Options team, DONT SPEAK TO ANYONE BUT THEM, and ask for it to be escalated to management level. Ask for a written confirmation of reciept of the complaint, and that if you have not had a resolution after 14 days you will escalate it again.

Remind them you asked for your direct debit to be rectified and at no time did you agree to a new contract.

Use the words, highly DISSATISIFIED, UNHAPPY and UNLIKELY TO RECCOMEND.
                  trrrrrrrrrust me... im a retentions advisor

Comment

ok deep breath will do this tomorrow.

many thanks Puff xx

Comment

If you want to put in a complaint e-mail the CEO:
                      ian.livingston@bt.com

You'll be surprised how quickly they act!

Comment

will do this on my lap top as I have a spell checker on that! much appreciated as I did not fancy the verbal battle with the call centre. xx

Comment

sent, hopefully poliite but firm!!

Comment

Had a reply, they "will do our best to resolve your issues and that I should hear from them by Thursday"

Comment

i had problems wit BT where after only a month of having a phone and broadband installed, i got cut off and my account disappeared. deleated, gone of their system, like i never existed

was advised by the forum to send an email to mr livingston

they called me back the next day

phone and broadband up and running within 2 days

all be it with a different telephone number but

hats off to BT, they rectified my complaint with the minimum of fuss

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X