• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Moorcroft Chasing Payment But BT Already Paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcroft Chasing Payment But BT Already Paid

Hi.
    First post and you've probably heard it all before but I'm not entirely sure what to do.

We had a final bill from BT which in all honesty I put aside to be paid later and forgot about.

A week or so ago we received a letter from Moorcroft saying that they were acting on behalf of their client, threatening the usual nonsense and adding £95 to the amount we owed BT for their trouble.

I thought at that point I'd better do something about it - so I paid BT the full amount of the bill online directly with my debit card.

Moorcroft have written a letter acknowledging the payment to their client, BT, but "reminding" me that they had told us in their last letter that they were now acting on behalf of BT and so we now owe them their £95 fee they say is outstanding.
    All sorts of threats were made of action that "may" be taken etc...

My question is, given that our contract was with BT and at no point did we agree to be contracted to and therefore not obliged to pay Moorcroft, do I have to pay this £95 to Moorcroft?

At the end of the day I have paid BT in full.

What should I do with this?

Any help very gratefully received.

Thanks!

Re: Moorcroft Chasing Payment But BT Already Paid

You do not owe Moorcroft anything and since the original bill is paid, you can safely ignore the letters from Moorcroft.

If they persist, which you will not know for several weeks, then come back here and we can give further advice. For now however, ignore them.

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll wait and see what happens.

Comment

I am in excactly the same situation at the moment... and they are persisting that I should pay or face increased fees after court.
        I am confused and don't know what to do next.
        can anyone please help?

thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

If you have paid, what can they possibly take you to court for?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
            If you have paid, what can they possibly take you to court for?

well, they kind of angry that I paid my outstanding balance (£120) to BT directly. I even received from BT a check for 10p as I overpaid them inadvertently.
            Moorcroft are insisting that "I should pay additional £67 ".

They are still using BT's reference on their correspondences.

Comment

Right.... and if I told you I was angry that you paid BT directly, would you offer to pay me £67?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                Right.... and if I told you I was angry that you paid BT directly, would you offer to pay me £67?
                Please try to be helpful, what they are claiming is that " BT have passed the debt on to them and therefore they are entitled to their so called admin charge on the top of the original balance" .

I made it clear to them that I paid my outstanding balance with BT and will not deal with them about a "debt" that doesn't exist. however, they persist on sending me threatening letters.

Now, I want your expert advice on how I should take on these beasts from here on...

regards.

Comment

I think all Amy was trying to say is that whatever Moorcroft threaten you with they can do little or nothing abou it.
                  I know it's not nice when you get these letters but honestly you will be fine, I am sure someone else will be along soon to back my comments up, till then please don't worry.
                  Enaid x

Comment

I was getting hassle off Moorcroft and they were at my door within 4 hours of the supreme court judgement being publicised. However, thanks to the advice from people here and a couple of great template/draft letters, I got an apology of sorts from them and peace from being hounded at my door (for the time being anyway...) Enaid is right, as unpleasant at they are, what can they do? Especially since the bill is settled!!! What's their gripe for goodness sake?! Seriously, Enaid is right. CatX

Paper clips - the larval stage of coat-hangers!

Comment

They are entitled to nothing and you should not engage them in any communication whatsoever. If they believe they have a valid claim, let them issue it in court.

In the meantime, you can either ignore their letters, return them unopened with "Not known at this address" written on them or write back to them with the following.

Dear Sir

I note from your correspondence that you allege money is owed to you. You are mistaken and I can confirm that I will not be paying you, either now or at any time in the future and would respectfully refer you to the reply in Arkell v. Pressdram.

Yours faithfully

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X