• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can Gas Supplier obtain a Warrant of Entry for Debt Collection Charges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Gas Supplier obtain a Warrant of Entry for Debt Collection Charges?

Can Gas Supplier obtain a Warrant of Entry for Debt Collection Charges?

It was my understanding that they could only obtain a warrant for actual gas usage, not debt collection charges...

Any references to law/precedents would be appreciated...
    I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Re: Can Gas Supplier obtain a Warrant of Entry for Debt Collection Charges?

Hi Animal,

Do I take it that the 'gas used' part of the bill has been paid (or will be paid)?

Btw, was the invoice produced via an actual read, or an estimated one?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Do I take it that the 'gas used' part of the bill has been paid (or will be paid)?
      Yes, it has been paid.
      Btw, was the invoice produced via an actual read, or an estimated one?
      Actual Read.
      I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

& you have proof of payment?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

& you have proof of payment?
          Yes.

Comment

53 views and nobody knows...?

Comment

If it were me, Animal, I would look to privity of contract.

(Unless there is some statutory provision or similar, like bailiffs & CT)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If it were me, Animal, I would look to privity of contract.

(Unless there is some statutory provision or similar, like bailiffs & CT)
                I had to google that...! :-)

I don't understand how that applies. There are only two parties, me and BG.

I assume you are saying they can get a Warrant for debt collection charges...?

Comment

Under usual contract law, if there is a contract between two parties, a third party cannot interfere in that contract.
                  As usual, however, there are special exceptions to that rule.
                  You have a contract with the provider; they have a separate contract with the DCA.
                  The DCA will be acting as agents, I reckon, unless of course they have purchased the debt, in which case you should have received a Notice of Assignment (Law of Property Act 1925)
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

All the letters are from BG, not a DCA. I believe the guy at court was a BG employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                      All the letters are from BG, not a DCA. I believe the guy at court was a BG employee.
                      What court hearing? Details please.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                        What court hearing? Details please.
                        Can't see the relevance, but...
                        They have applied three times for a warrant.
                        The first I was not notified. They withdrew after I contacted the CEO.
                        The second they withdrew on the day, after I attended with documentation showing I had paid.
                        The third is the one which is about to be heard.

This thread seems to be wandering off to nowhere... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                          Can't see the relevance, but...
                          They have applied three times for a warrant.
                          The first I was not notified. They withdrew after I contacted the CEO.
                          The second they withdrew on the day, after I attended with documentation showing I had paid.
                          The third is the one which is about to be heard.

This thread seems to be wandering off to nowhere... :-(
                          Hi Animal,

Some useful info on this thread - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...lling-Disputes

A bit more here - http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_...or-taking-part

And here - http://thejusticeofthepeace.blog.co....upply-8231890/

The Magistrate's 'Good Practice' guide would be useful - does anyone have access to it?
                          Last edited by charitynjw; 26th September 2013, 05:08:AM.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

All I know is...BG can get a court order to fit a PAYG meter and rock up with a locksmith if entry is refused. The debt is added to the meter and a % of any credit put on the card is taken off against the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                              All I know is...BG can get a court order to fit a PAYG meter and rock up with a locksmith if entry is refused. The debt is added to the meter and a % of any credit put on the card is taken off against the debt.
                              Yes, it would appear that obtaining a warrant has become pretty much a rubber-stamping exercise.
                              Hence the comment re this 'Good Practice Guide' - it might provide a route to fight the burghers!
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X