• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pre-payment causeing debt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-payment causeing debt.

Hi,moved to my new address 12 months ago today.
    A pre-payment meter was already installed because previous tenent was in debt to Eon gas.

When i moved here i had no debt,through out winter i did not use my gas because it was so expensive.
    Now i am in debt of 90 pounds because of Eon standing daily charge for meter of 27.395pence per day for use of the pre-payment meter.

Have been here 12 months and all readings have been estimated.
    Their reading is 04220.
    My reading is 00438.413m3.

I e-mailed them my reading,and they replied that their estimate reading was from a credit meter,was not aware i had pre-payment meter.
    Though myEon online account shows as pre-payment debt recovery account.

Why should i pay them a standing charge?i did not ask them for meter,do not use it,have signed nothing.
    No one comes out to read it or service it.I now do this on line.

Have since had no reply from them.
    If i put 10 pounds on card,i only get 3 pounds of gas,this cant be right,i never owed a penny when come here,now i am in debt for 90 pounds and havent used eny gas.This cant be right.
    6 second abs,3 up,3 down Get the perfect abs..
    Tags: None

Re: Pre-payment causeing debt.

Originally posted by Sleepyhead View Post
    A pre-payment meter was already installed because previous tenent was in debt to Eon gas. When i moved here i had no debt ...
    Existing prepayment meter. Previous occupant owed money to Eon so prepayment meter installed. Initally, you owed nothing, either from this or any previous address.

... through out winter i did not use my gas because it was so expensive. Now i am in debt of 90 pounds because of Eon standing daily charge for meter of 27.395pence per day for use of the pre-payment meter [...] Have been here 12 months and all readings have been estimated. Their reading is 04220. My reading is 00438.413m3.
    There are two issues here. Firstly, the standing charge, and secondly, the inaccurate meter reading.

How much of the debt relates to the standing charge?
    How much of the debt relates to the inaccurate gas reading?

Did you supply them with up to the minute readings when you first moved in? If so, how?

Are you sure that some of the debt doesn't relate to the previous occupant? (continuing to collect from a new tenant is a known phenomenon). Did your account always show as 'debt recovery'?

To start with, insist that they come and read the meter.

I e-mailed them my reading,and they replied that their estimate reading was from a credit meter, was not aware i had pre-payment meter. Though my Eon online account shows as pre-payment debt recovery account.
    Incompetence like this is quite common. Take screenshots and save. Print out and keep copies of statements. If possible, get them to admit in writing that they 'didn't know'.

Why should i pay them a standing charge? I did not ask them for meter, do not use it, have signed nothing.
    Moot point. However, you accepted the situation. Standing charges are one of the catches with these meters. It is possible to get the meter changed, although the property owner should be consulted first.

Have since had no reply from them.
    Don't communicate by email or telephone. Put everything in writing and send it Recorded Delivery.

Comment

Thanks for reply,will get more details then post them.

I want to make argument over standing charges,i am being charged to pay them in advance.This is my debt,i stopped useing the gas and standing charge accumulated,

Comment

Hello Sleepyhead!

How nice to see you again but I'm so sorry that you've got yet another injustice to deal with. :_tighthug__by_darkm You will get help here.

I hope that your other problem has been resolved happily for you?

xxx

Comment

Havent a clue how to work this out,could some one take time out to check it.

Bill Breakdown

£164.88Total gas chargesHide

E.ON EnergyPlan with Prepayment (No Standing Charge)

Gas charges between 01/10/2012 and 18/01/2013

Meter Number 000000000000000
          Gas previous 03973 estimated on 01/10/2012
          Gas current 04105 estimated on 18/01/2013
          Difference - 132 units - with multiplier value 1.0, conversion value of 1.02264, calorific value 39.4
          Converted into - 1477 kWh (kilowatt / hour) used
          Charges
          Gas units used 800 kWh at 8.034p each £64.27
          Gas units used 677 kWh at 3.495p each £23.66
          E.ON EnergyPlan with Prepayment

Gas charges between 18/01/2013 and 23/04/2013

Meter Number 000000000000
          Gas previous 04105 estimated on 18/01/2013
          Gas current 04220 estimated on 23/04/2013
          Difference - 115 units - with multiplier value 1.0, conversion value of 1.02264, calorific value 39.4
          Converted into - 1287 kWh (kilowatt / hour) used
          Charges
          Gas units used 1287 kWh at 4.053p each £52.16
          Standing Charge 95 days at 26.09p per day £24.79

£8.245% VAT on £164.88

£173.12Total (with VAT)

CR£27.10Balance brought forward

CR£50Total payments (thank you)Hide

Payment Received on 02/10/2012 £5.00 CR
          Payment Received on 26/12/2012 £10.00 CR
          Payment Received on 29/12/2012 £10.00 CR
          Payment Received on 07/01/2013 £10.00 CR
          Payment Received on 12/01/2013 £5.00 CR
          Payment Received on 21/01/2013 £10.00 CR

£96.02Bill balance

Comment

Have you thought about emailing the CEO to see if they can help you with your situation:

tony.cocker@eon-uk.com

Comment

My decision is to switch suppliers.
              Reason: because i use so little gas it would be in my interests to use a set tarrif with out standing charge.That way i am only being charged for gas i use.
              I estimate using about 5000kwh of gas per annum???

Found gas bills from previous tennent that lived here,up until the 18 june 2012.the day i moved in.

He used 728 kwh in 12 months.all his bills where also estimated.

i did a price comparison.

Ebico EquiGasPrepayment Meter
              • Small UK social enterprise
              • Prices same irrespective of payment method

Tariff Details
              Could this be possible.??
              £37 4 Stars rating £94(72%) Enquir
              Last edited by Sleepyhead; 30th May 2013, 06:07:AM.

Comment

Hi,all,how do i claim my compo,lol,looking forward to this.Think i may have a claim,not sure.
                This is part of e-mail reply they sent me in 2013.

It looks like we have the wrong meter details on your account as it shows that you have a normal meter rather than a prepayment meter. This will be why your billing is wrong and the meter readings you've taken don't match what we have on your account.

So we can correct your meter details, please provide us with the date your meter was exchanged, your old meter final reading, your new meter serial number, the installation reading of your new meter and your up to date reading. You should be able to find all this information on the front of your meter.

To discuss it further, please phone us on 0345 301 4923 and we'll be happy to help.

I'm sorry we weren't aware that you're disabled. Please let us know your condition so we can update your account and offer any additional services you might be entitled to.

Kind regards,

Dan Jackson
                Customer Service
                Last edited by Sleepyhead; 16th May 2014, 16:07:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X