• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty British Gas Pre-payment Meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty British Gas Pre-payment Meter

Hello All,

I am having some difficulty with British Gas with regards to a pre-payment meter of theirs installed within my house, which I will explain below as I think this matter is getting out of hand!

I have owned the property for about 5 years and initially used the gas for heating when I moved in. About approx 4 years ago the boiler broke and I was then staying at the house on and off as I was living between else where also. I could not afford to get the boiler replaced so I borrowed some plug in heaters/radiators off a friend and just used these instead (I had electric cooker). I have lived like this for years and use only electricity and regularly.

About 12 weeks ago I got the boiler sorted and repaired and also got a gas cooker installed. I found my way to the depths of the cellar, located my gas meter and having pressed some buttons on it saw that the display was reading £52 or so in credit...Brilliant cooking on gas...or so I thought!

About 8/9 weeks ago there was a knock at the door, I answered and let a chap in from BG, as he informed me he needed to check the meter so I let him come in and do what he needed to do. He then informed me that my meter was faulty and would have to be replaced. I told him no problem and arranged for him to return a few days later to do whatever he needed to do.

I was out at work at the time and my missus was at home to let him in. He came back with an engineer, barged into our house and announced he was from the BG Revenue Protection Team. He then got his engineer to set about his business (replacing the meter) whilst interrogating my missus about our living circumstances etc; after some time he left with the engineer after handing over a letter stating that we were suspected of tampering with our meter which was to be sent away for independent testing to verify. When my wife questioned this he said that it was procedure and that he suspected it more than likely to be faulty meter, and he would next write to us to let us know the outcome. Incidentally the meter was removed from our cellar, then taken outside before being brought back in to the house to be sealed in front of my wife. He then left us with what he said was £10 credit on the meter which was in fact a £10 debt.

The following Monday morning after all this had sunk in we phoned BG complaints line to query this situation. we were informed that the matter was indeed with their Revenue Protection Team who then phoned the chap who had come whilst we were on the line and confirmed with us that there were no specific allegations being made against us and this was just a standard letter; and that we would hear from them again in the near future with the results of the testing of the meter etc. After this it took us some time to actually be able to put credit on the meter as we were left with cards which wouldn't work with the new meter and after days of phone calls and a succession of new cards a chap from BG had to come out and add another £5 debt on the meter until more arrived via post. Bearing in mind we have a young child and it was cold!

Now about 9 weeks later I have heard nothing from BG and was beginning to assume as the chap had informed us that it was just a failed unit. That is until I went to top the meter up this evening and noticed £10 of the £20 I just topped the card up with going to pay back £10 worth of debt. Having then looked through all of the displays on the meter I have noticed a debt of £1825 has been put on it, payable at £10 a week!!! I am outraged!!

I have never ever tampered with my meter, I have not even been using gas until quite recently!!! I have never stolen anything!

Further more I have not received any further correspondence from BG, they have not provided me with the outcome of their independent meter testing with regards alleged tampering which I have not done - I am assuming that they consider I have interfered with this meter?

Also how have they arrived at this figure?

what is it based upon?

What proof do they need, surely it must be definitive or prove reasonable evidence or grounds on which to take this further?

And surely if you are imposing/enforcing a debt or allegations on an individual you must surely have to notify them of this? Or at least give them the forum to dispute it?

I have a pre-payment meter so ineffect until this matter is resolved I am being held to ransom, either pay back or don't use gas!

How does all of this work with the obligations as a distributor of energy or guaranteed standards of service etc?

I fully intend to look into pursuing this matter with the regulators, ofgem energy watch etc, however before I do, if anybody has a similar situation or any advice or indeed anything which may assist me in my case it would be more than appreciated. I am just so angry at the faceless tactics of BG and I think accusations of theft although this has not even yet been put to me!

Many thanks in advance for your assistance and taking the time to read this rant.

Best regards

Kowalski123
    Tags: None

Re: Faulty British Gas Pre-payment Meter

I don't think they have followed OFGEM guidelines.
    The factsheet appears to show that no reading was recorded prior to it being sent away, no arrangement was made for payment of arrears. http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Networks/Tec...ngDisputes.pdf

You might want to ask OFGEM for some advice on this issue
    Consumers
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hello Lecerc

Many thanks for your post and taking the time to come back to me on this matter, very much appreciated.

With regards to the meter reading prior to it being sent away. I have looked at the letter they handed to us again today and the reading was recorded on the letter as 99999.

Incidentally I have still as of today not received any correspondence from BG in relation to this alleged debt that they have enforced upon us. Whilst to be completely honest we probably do owe them some money for the few weeks which we were using the gas before we were informed the unit was faulty, but not nearly £2,000!

I have tried to submit a complaint to them via their online facility for the past 4 hours. however it does not seem to go through and I just get the message system error. Perhaps they do not want people to submit complaints in the first place!!

I will try again tomorrow as I would like all of this in writing should this matter have to be referred to a regulator or ombudsman etc. I will update once I hopefully get a straight forward response from BG.

Any further thoughts from anyone who may be in the know about these things would again be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Kowalski123

Comment

Write to your supplier asking for the certificate they are supposed to issue detailing the faults with your old meter.

The factsheet above states gas meters are impractical to be tested on site so how did the engineer immediately know the meter was inaccurate ?
        Last edited by Main man; 31st March 2011, 21:13:PM.

Comment

Hi Main Man

Thanks for your advice and taking the time to provide me with your thoughts.

Yes I have this morning done this. As per my last post I was unable to submit it to the online complaints facility as per their procedure as I am still today getting system errors! So I have sent it via my own email requesting from them any information and indeed the results of the independent testing to suggest that we have tampered with this meter.

I know that they cannot possibly conclude that we have ever tampered with this meter, we most certainly never have. I would have no idea how to anyway and would probably blow the house or street up!

My main concern now is that they are going to say that there is indeed evidence of tampering. Now call me completely paranoid but Obviously I have since been googling such situations and there seems to be a lot of very bad press about the BG Revenue Protection Team. Particularly with regards to over zealous employees who may do anything to secure a successful outcome for their investigations. As I have said the unit was taken out of the front of the property for some minutes and out of the sight of my partner. I know definitively that we have never tampered with it. I am being overly suspicious or is it possible that if there is indeed evidence of tampering then this could have done by them?! One thing I was reading the other night online said that a unit had scratches on it which would suggest a cover or something being repeatedly removed in line with tampering. I have no idea what our meter even looked like but I wish now I had photographed it in detail prior to them coming near it.

Anyway I expect an initial response from them in the next 24 hours so I will again update I just envisage this turning into an absolute nightmare dealing with them!

Cheers

Kowalski123

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X