• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas threatening me with bailiffs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas threatening me with bailiffs.

Hi, I'm going to try summarise the situation I'm in with British Gas that has led to them threatening to send the bailiffs round. I'm not expecting sympathy because the crux of the matter is that the bill hasn't been paid, but I do feel I am in a difficult and unfair situation and am more or less at my wits' end.

The bill I'm in trouble for not paying relates to a previous address - a flat I shared with 2 other people. We all moved out of that flat at the end of June and I am currently in another shared flat, where we're now with nPower and the account is in my flatmate's name.
    Despite the fact that - at the previous flat - all three tenants' names were on the account, I made the damn fool mistake of giving British Gas my new address when we moved, thinking we could all be grown-ups about it, settle the outstanding debt and eventually get our deposit back from the previous landlord. What has actually happened is that the other two guys from the last flat have severed all contact with me, leaving me to take responsibility for the full bill.
    Just to add to the fun, my new flat is on the same street as the old one, which seems to be beyond the comprehension of the semi-literate drones at British Gas who have repeatedly sent correspondence to the wrong address and then issued me with threats for not replying. This is on top of their inability to spell the names of the account holders, which have varied wildly from letter to letter and sometimes even within the text of one letter. But I digress.

Needless to say I have not paid them, partly because I'm obviously unhappy about having to pay for all three people (though I appreciate this is not British Gas's fault) but also because I believe the bills they are sending me are wildly inaccurate. I have retained copies of all the bills but don't have them to hand (I don't have a computer and am typing this from the public library) but will provide more specific details if anyone needs them. The basic gist of it is that when I originally provided them with the final meter readings I was told to expect a final bill of roughly £200 for gas and electricity combined; they proceeded to send me a bill for nearly £600.

Actually I'm missing a lot of things out here: for instance, they were still sending me ESTIMATED bills as late as October, as if the account had been transferred and was still in use. The "final total" has changed at least three times and they have repeatedly had to ask me to send the final meter readings because they "have no record of them". After submitting the final readings for the fourth time I got an email saying they were wrong - either the gas or electric reading apparently had a digit missing, so they gave me a final-final total from an estimate based on the previous reading. Not sure if they're even allowed to do that but obviously by this stage we can't exactly go back and check because the old flat has been occupied by other people for 6 months.
    After the first two months or so I sent a complaint through their website to say I refuse to talk to anyone from British Gas on the telephone. At the time I did not have a landline so anytime I rang them from my mobile it was costing me a fortune, and more importantly it was getting me nowhere. The things they were saying to me on the phone bore absolutley no resemblance to reality, and the things I was saying to them were clearly being ignored. Just as a trivial example, in one of the first calls I made to them I mentioned that the surname of one of the other people on the account had been completely changed somehow so that it no longer resembled the guy's actual name - I heard fingers tapping on a keyboard and the woman said "Ok I've corrected that for you." Sure enough, all subsequent letters have had the same garbled surname as before.

Ok, this was suppose to be a summary but is turning into a long-winded rant. In a nutshell, I'm being told bailiffs are going to come to my house and take my stuff because I haven't paid what seems to me to be a vastly inflated bill - I say that based on British Gas's own initial statement about what the bill was going to be, plus the fact that there's no way on earth we ran up a £600 bill in three months during the summer! Like I said I will try to provide more detailed info about what period the charges are for but I don't have it to hand. I'm absolutely sure the bill is wrong though, and that's leaving aside the fact I've been lumped with a bill that should have been split between 3 people. The last estimated bill I received, covering an account that didn't exist up until the end of September, was only about £40 higher than the "final" bill up until the end of June. I'm convinced they are just plucking numbers out of the sky.

The usual stresses that arise for anyone who has to deal with utilities companies all apply here too, compounded by the fact that I don't have internet access at home and absolutely refuse to speak to them on the phone. For what it's worth, I am currently off work with depression which makes relatively simple tasks seem far more difficult than they should. I'm sure there are things I could/should have done earlier to resolve this issue that I haven't done. And I know I still owe them some money and that it isn't BG's fault my former friends decided to do a runner and leave me to settle the debt. The situation I'm in does seem unreasonable though and since I absolutely cannot pay them the amount they're asking for I'm very concerned about them sending people round to break in and help themselves.

Sorry this has been so long. I still feel like I'm missing out important details but I just can't think straight. Any and all advice is very welcome, even if it's of the "you don't have a leg to stand on - tough!" variety.

Gonna just click 'submit' to stop myself waffling on. Any questions ask away.
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas threatening me with bailiffs.

If they're threatening bailiffs, start by reading Amy's brilliant guide:

Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

BG can threaten bailiffs all they want, but without a COURT ORDER nowt is going to happen.

Right it is now time to stop dealing with the call centre drones and address a full and complete account to the MD and MAKE him sort it out.
      SNAIL MAIL only from now on..

Sam Laidlaw,
      Chief Executive
      Centrica Plc
      Millstream
      Maidenhead Road
      Windsor
      Berkshire
      SL4 5GD

Comment

Hello again folks and thanks for the replies. Just wanted to update this thread as I've started receiving text messages from Credit Resource Solutions asking me to ring them - I haven't done so, but I'm assuming this is something to do with my ongoing issues with British Gas.
        I've googled for info about CRS and found various threads describing them as a nasty bunch of scammers. The advice given usually seems to be "ignore them" but it's still worrying me a bit. I'm still disputing the amount owed to BG and I'm sure these CRS folks can't legally do much, but I was wondering if anyone here had heard of or had run-ins with Credit Resource Solutions? Apparently they are (or were) based in Halifax.

Comment

CRS are my best friends! Now based in Elland just outside Huddersfield. I've never written to them. They love phoning and texting, and eventually put one or two things in writing before passing it on. I've always totally ignored them and everyone I know who has had dealings with them have ended up with Arrow Global and/or Fredericksons.

Comment

Cheers Caspar for reassuring me. They've texted me again today and I nearly sent some rude words back but thought better of it. Will just ignore them.

Also had a letter from Buchanan Clark & Wells - Final Notice, legal action starting immediately etc etc. Despite everything I've read in the past few weeks on this and similar boards, I foolishly rang them to tell them I was still disputing the amount owed with British Gas. Predictably it got me nowhere and I've basically just encouraged them.
            Amongst other things, I told the guy I'd already contacted BCW a few months ago after a similar letter (slightly less alarming than the latest one) and at that time they'd told me the account had already been simply passed back to British Gas and it was nothing to do with them. He told me that was for a different account. How many accounts does he think I have?

Anyway, hopefully they'll pass the account back to BG after they get bored of hassling me. I am still pretty worried about what's going to happen because I'm not in a position to pay ANYTHING at the moment, even if I finally persuade BG the amount they're asking for is wrong. Had no income for two months and benefits still not likely to come through for a while (rambling off-topic now, just needed to vent, aaaaaaaaah...)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X