• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Electric meter replacement e-on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric meter replacement e-on

Dear All,

Thanks in advance for reading this post. My electricity supplier (e-on next) are making noises about my old (dumb) meter needing to be replaced because it is at its end of life. I am going round in circles trying to get them to replace it with a new dumb meter. I do not want a smart meter. I am not obligated to have a smart meter. e-on are calling daily to try and bully me into having a smart meter fitted and being dishonest about the availability of dumb meters. I have raised complaints which have taken so long they have "timed out" and expired. The contacts at e-on are either bots or when you do reach a human they lie and say the dumb meters are 'out of stock' or just unavailable.

If they are contractually obliged to replace my old meter but I am not obligated to accept a new smart meter then they are surely in breach of their terms of contract if they refuse to give me a new dumb meter.

My question is really this: Is there a quick way/route to getting them to fit a new dumb meter? Perhaps an executive level complaints dept or something?

Kind Regards

Matt
    Tags: None

Just by way of background there have been regular media reports that because the government wants the old mechanical meters phased out they are no longer being manufactured. Whether e-on actually have some laying around still I couldn't say but it is possible they are correct to say they are no longer available.

However what is often possible is for a smart meter to be installed but for the the 'smart' functionality to be turned off so that it will not connect to the internet or send readings to the supplier.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks for your input PALLASATHENA. Interested in smart meter with smart capability switched off. I bet the customer service reps will do anything to squirm out of providing that option. Out of interest do you know how it's possible to see whether it is actually turned off?

The bigger question the nation should be asking is this: If an energy supplier is legally/contractually obliged to change a customers meter at the end of its life, and the customer is NOT legally or contractually obliged to accept a smart meter, does it not follow that a dumb meter option should be available to all of it's customers all of the time?

Comment

"Out of interest do you know how it's possible to see whether it is actually turned off?" Sorry, no idea. I only read about it in a newspaper recently.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X