• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please EDF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please EDF

I have received a letter saying I owe EDF £271.21 for energy 4 years ago, however our energy is with octopus it says they are going to send my details to debt collection agency what can I do?
    Tags: None

Is the letter correctly addressed to you (it couldn't be for someone else)?

Do EDF say whether this is for a domestic premises account or is it a business premises account?

Have you ever been with EDF? How long have you been with Octopus?

Does their letter say what premises it refers to? Is it somewhere you have ever lived?

Is this the first contact you have ever received from EDF? No previous bills or letters?

Please can you post on here a copy of the letter you have received (instructions in the paperclip icon>Upload Attachments on the reply box). Cover up your name and address and any reference numbers, anything that might identify you, before uploading.
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 20th July 2024, 16:51:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi,

yes its my home address, my pre married name, never been with them as far as im aware we had not long bought the house, nothing atall for 4 years just this letter that has arrived saying we owe £270+ and sending to debt collection. It wont let me upload a picture unfortunatley.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry it did i have attached a picture of the letter. Previous reply the only letter we have had

Comment

Sorry but that is far too blurred for me to read but it doesn't seem to give any details about what EDF allege the debt is for.

Your first step should be to ask them to give you details of the alleged debt, what's often called a "Prove it" letter. Something like this

Dear [EDF],

I am writing in response to a letter from you dated [dd/mm/yy], reference number [abc333333]. A copy is attached.

I have no knowledge of ever having had a contract with you..Please provide evidence of my liability for the alleged debt or send me written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

If you do not stop collection activity whilst investigating my dispute, you are breaking FCA rules and guidance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Don't give them your phone number or email address. Insist they only correspond with you by post.

You can use your pre-marriage name in your correspondence, use the name as it appears on the letter they sent you. No need to tell them the married name you use now. Your pre-marriage name is still a legal name for you to use.

Get a free Proof of Posting from the Post Office when you send the letter.
          Last edited by PallasAthena; 20th July 2024, 19:27:PM.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I have received a letter saying I owe EDF £271.21 for energy 4 years ago, however, our energy is with Octopus it says they are going to send my details to a debt collection agency what can I do? EDF. Total shambles, my experience, if this helps, they would invoice for Gas, and two weeks later invoice for electricity, I then look at the cost over the past year, and I complained, replying it's our mistake and so we will compensate you £50.00. and so I then received an invoice for £260. the final straw was another invoice for £83.complain again to be told your Smart meter "Dropped out" That was enough to move to Octopus, my monthly invoice is now £40 month.

Comment

I would send EDF a Subject Access Request, see what they send back.

If they are chasing you for money you don't owe, then lodge a complaint, follow their complaints procedure on their website.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X