• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Utility Company chasing over £600 for quote fee - Opt out/ Opt in questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Company chasing over £600 for quote fee - Opt out/ Opt in questions

Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice. Last year I requested a quote for a new utility connection, I received an email confirming they had received my quote request and the next steps etc. The email mentioned an attachment detailing the process further which I missed. I did not go ahead with the quote as it was extremely expensive. I have now started to receive letters chasing a debt for over £600 for a "complex quote fee". When I have told them I have never agreed to pay such a fee I have been informed that the attachment that I missed mentions the fee and that I must email to opt out and cancel my quote request.

Can they actually do this? It seems crazy that they can expect me to pay over £600 to receive a quote without asking me to confirm I want to proceed with this? Surely these things should be an opt out rather than an opt in? They have no interest in listening to me and now seem to have passed this over to a debt collector.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Tags: None

Was the utility connection for you as a domestic customer or for a business supply?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Sounds like a 'business customer', regardless it's 'ridiculous', complex quote or not.

Go through their 'Terms and Conditions', even though they say they can, the 'Terms and Conditions' might be 'unfair'.

Comment

"Might" be unfair?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          "Might" be unfair?
          Without seeing what exactly what the T &C's say, it's is difficult to say, but 'common sense' tells me it's 'unfair', it would be off putting for a potential customer to even request a quote.

Comment

Unfair contract term law isn't something I know much about but doesn't it only apply to consumer contracts and not to B2B? I may have misremembered that, but it was the thought behind my question in Post #2.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

A business can be a consumer. s2(3) Consumer Rights Act 2015: "Consumer" means an individual acting for purposes that are wholly or mainly outside that individual's trade, business, craft or profession.

So Part 2 CRA 2015 can apply.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

CRA 2015 SCHEDULE 2 Part 1

Contract terms that may be regarded as unfair

3. "A term which has the object or effect of making an agreement binding on the consumer in a case where the provision of services by the trader is subject to a condition where realisation depends on the trader's will alone."

In Eddie's case the services are the preparation of the quotation and Eddie was not given the chance to accept the agreement to provide the quotation (only to opt out)

Please also read http://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law...ng-regulations. The trader may have breached these regulations.

Misleading acts and omissions are unfair commercial practices. Misleading omissions are made when a trader omits or hides or provides material information in an unclear manner.

By providing a fundamental term (that provision of the complex quotations must be opted out by the consumer to avoid the fee of £600) in a separate document that has to be opened, the utility company may not have provided this info in s clear manner.

Comment

If you want to report the company to Trading Standards you need to contact Citizens Advice who will do the job for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X